Dependent Child or Other Sponsorship Requirements

Posted in Dependent Child and other Sponsorship

Sponsoring your dependent child is an option for Canadians who have obtained status for themselves who seek to be reunited with their dependents abroad. Eligible permanent residents and Canadian citizens who qualify to sponsor may facilitate their dependant for permanent resident status.

In order to qualify as a sponsor, you must:

  • be 18 years of age or older,
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident,
  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class,
  • sign an undertaking promising

When you agree to be a sponsor, you must sign a contract called an undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration The undertaking is a promise to provide financial support for dependent children. This also includes other health care not provided by public health, such as eye and dental care.

The undertaking ensures that these persons and their family members do not have to apply for social assistance. Its length varies according to their age and their relationship to you. The length of undertaking for a child over the age of 22 is 3 years. For a child under 22 years of age, the financial undertaking is 10 years or until the child reaches 25 years of age.

As you intend to be sponsoring your dependent child, there are other factors that you should consider as well. Essentially, you will need to demonstrate the validity of your relationship as well as the fact that the qualify to be considered your dependant.

There are three types of dependent children who are eligible:

Type A

Type B

Type C

The child is under the age of 22 and is single (not married and not in a common-law relationship).

The child has been continuously enrolled in and in attendance as a full‑time student at a post‑secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority and has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent either:

  • since before the age of 22, or
  • since marrying or entering into a common-law relationship (if it happened before the age of 22).

The child is 22 years of age or older, has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22, and is unable to provide for himself or herself because of a medical condition

Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm


For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives. 

Tags: Dependent Child and other Sponsorship Family Class Sponsorship Canadian Permanent Residence Canadian Immigration Dependent Child or Other Sponsorship Requirements

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here