Federal Skilled Worker Requirements
The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) category of permanent residence is geared to towards foreign skilled workers with experience in eligible occupations. Eligible skilled workers, based on their education, experience and occupation may obtain permanent resident status in Canada. This category seeks to facilitate this transition while filling labour shortages that exist in the Canadian labour market.
In order to qualify, you must have:
- at least one year of continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time) work experience
- in a single occupation,
- within the last 10 years,
- at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), and you:
- have this work experience in one of the eligible occupations, OR
- have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
- are an international student who is enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or who graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet these criteria.
Beyond these requirements, you will be assessed based on a number of other selection factors including:
- - Work Experience
- - Language Ability
- - Education
- - Age
- - Whether or not you have arranged employment
- - Your adaptability
Further, in order to qualify, your occupation must be on the most recent list of eligible occupations. This list is as follows:
0211 Engineering managers (Cap currently reached)
1112 Financial and investment analysts (Cap currently reached)
2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers
2131 Civil engineers
2132 Mechanical engineers
2134 Chemical engineers
2143 Mining engineers
2145 Petroleum engineers
2144 Geological engineers
2146 Aerospace engineers
2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers) (Cap currently reached)
2154 Land surveyors
2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers (Cap currently reached)
2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
3143 Occupational Therapists
3211 Medical laboratory technologists
3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants
3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
3215 Medical Radiation Technologists
3216 Medical Sonographers
3217 Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists
Lastly, due to the large number of applications CIC gets, they can only consider a limited number of applications per year. Between May 4, 2013, and April 30, 2014, CIC will consider no more than 5,000 complete FSW applications for processing. Within the 5,000 cap, they will consider no more than 300 applications per eligible occupation for processing within this same time frame.
This does not apply if you:
- have a valid offer of arranged employment, or
- are applying under the PhD stream (there is a cap of 1,000 applications in this stream, from May 4, 2013 to April 30, 2014).
Ensure you file your application as soon as possible.
Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm1-416-477-2545
For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives.
Tags: Federal Skilled Worker Program FSWP Economic Class Canadian Permanent Residence Canadian Immigration Federal Skilled Worker Requirements