Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Do I Need An Authorization To Return To Canada

Do I Need An Authorization To Return To Canada


If you have received a removal order from Canada, then you need and Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) in order to come back into Canada.

Three Types of Removal Order

Departure Order

A person who receives a departure order would be told to leave Canada within 30 days. If a person leaves Canada within that time period and verified their departure with a Canadian Immigration Officer at the port of exit then they do not need an Authorization to Return to Canada ARC for future. They can simply return after a normal examination at the port of entry. However, if the person left Canada without verifying their departure or after the 30 day deadline then the departure order becomes a deportation order and would require an ARC to re-enter Canada. A departure order is issued for a less serious violation of immigration law.

Exclusion Order

Exclusion order is different from departure order as it bars a foreign national from returning to Canada for a specified period of time, either for one year or for two years. The one year ban is generally issued when a foreign national has committed a minor offence such as trying to enter at a port of entry with incomplete documentation. The two year ban is reserved for more serious offences. If the person with an exclusion order remained outside of Canada for the prescribed period of time and has a certificate of departure, then they do not need an ARC. They can return to Canada subject to normal examination at the port of entry. However if the ban period has not passed and they want to return to Canada before or they don’t have a Certificate of Departure, then they need to apply for an ARC.

Deportation Order

The deportation order permanently bars a person from future admission to Canada unless that person obtains written consent of the minister. Deportation may be issued if a person has been found inadmissible in Canada on serious grounds, or the person has committed serious violation of Canadian law, or a departure order was issued which turned into a deportation order. People who received a deportation order must apply for ARC to return to Canada. They would also need to explain as to why they should be allowed into Canada again. If their departure order became the deportation order then they also have to explain why they did not leave in 30 days period. If deportation resulted due to criminal inadmissibility then the individual needs to apply for criminal rehabilitation first. That person may also need a Temporary Resident Permit to be allowed back into Canada.

If the deportation order was made against an accompanying family member of an individual who was found inadmissible, that family member may return to Canada without written authorization.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Removal orders are a complex and difficult area of immigration law. If you are facing this difficult matter we at Akrami & Associates are well equipped to deal with it. Contact us for any further information.

Selection Criteria for Self Employed People
Visitor Visa Application

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here