Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Documents Needed For PR Card Renewal

What is a PR Card?

A PR Card is a Permanent Resident Card. This is a document that proves you are a permanent resident of Canada. This card is used by permanent residents to re-enter Canada if they have travelled to another country. If an individual has a PR card that is expired or soon to expire, has been stolen, or has been destroyed, then this individual may apply to renew/replace their permanent resident card. Replacing or renewing a PR card consists of the same steps as applying for a PR card.

Necessary Documents & Forms:

  • Application for a Permanent Resident Card (IMM 5444)
  • Supplementary Identification Form (IMM 5455)
  • Photocopy of one (1) primary identity document.
  • Photocopy of one (1) secondary identity document.
  • Photocopy of additional documents of proof of residence in Canada.
  • Two (2) photos placed in a small envelope (no staples or paper clips). Photos must follow the Photograph Specifications for Permanent Resident Cards.
  • Fees. Copy 2 of the Receipt form showing the amount paid. (currently $50)
  • If you are under the age of 18: a photocopy of your birth certificate, adoption order or legal guardianship document issued by a Canadian court.
  • If you are under the age of 18: a photocopy of your school records (report cards, transcripts, attendance records).
  • Proof of residency requirements: if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years. (if applicable)
  • Legal change of name: photocopy of supporting legal documentation as proof of your name change. (if applicable)

All in all, if you are a permanent resident of Canada and your do not have your PR card or it is expired you will be treated as if you as not a permanent resident. That card is a permanent resident’s identification. Without a PR card an officer will not know whether you are a permanent resident or not. The first instinct is to send you back when you came from. As a permanent resident, especially if you are planning to travel somewhere, the PR card is your most valuable document.

Please contact us today if you would like our help to submit this application for you. At Akrami & Associates, there is Always a Way!

Express Entry And LMIA Requirements
Do I qualify for Study Permit?

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here