Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

FAQs for Temporary Resident Visas in Canada

FAQs for Temporary Resident Visas in Canada

FAQ – Temporary Resident Visas

In this article, I will address a few popular questions and answers for Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs) in Canada and some important information to consider if you are applying for a Temporary Resident Visa. A Temporary Resident Visa is intended for foreign nationals who wish to visit Canada temporary and intend on leaving at the end of their authorized stay. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa, I suggest you read our article on “Who Needs a Visitor Visa to Come to Canada” before reading this question and answer article. The intention of this article is meant to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to Temporary Resident Visas in Canada.

Q: How long am I permitted to stay in Canada as a visitor?

A: The length of authorized stay within Canada is ultimately determined by the Immigration officer authorizing and approving your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). Most of the time, visitors are authorized to stay in Canada for a 6 month visit; this visit is from the date you enter Canada. However, if the Immigration officer authorizes a stay that is less than 6 months long, they will indicate the dates of authorization on your passport. The specific date that you must leave Canada will be on that page of the passport. Keep in mind, if you would like to stay in Canada for more than the authorized period or 6 months, you may apply to extend your stay. This application for an extension must be done at least 30 days prior to the expiration of your authorized stay.

Q: How do I know whether I need a visa to enter Canada?

A: In order to determine whether you need a visa to enter Canada, you must first determine whether your country of birth is a visa-exempt country or not. If your country of birth is not visa-exempt, then you will require a visa prior to entering Canada. Additionally, whether you will need a visa or not also depends on the type of travel document you plan on travelling with; the country that issued your travel document; your nationality; and lastly, how you intend on travelling to Canada. Please note that if you do not have the required travel documentation, such as a visa or an ETA, then you may be denied entry into Canada and this may cause complications and delays for you in the future.

Q: Am I able to assist a family member and/or a friend to come to Canada?

A: Yes, you may be able to help your family member or friend to come to Canada. You may provide them with a letter of invitation to support their application. However, they must apply for a temporary resident visa on their own prior to travelling and entering Canada. Keep in mind, the invitation letter does not guarantee their entry into Canada but it does benefit and help the application.

Q: Is it possible to leave Canada and come back if I have a temporary resident visa?

A: It is possible to leave Canada and then return if you have a temporary resident visa that has been issued as a multiple-entry visa. You may re-enter Canada so long as your temporary resident visa is also valid and has not expired. It is very important to check your authorized stay dates prior to travelling outside of Canada, if you intend on returning.

Q: If I am currently living in a country that I am not a citizen of, am I still able to apply for a temporary resident visa at the local visa office?

A: Yes, you may apply for a temporary resident visa from the local office at the country you are living in. Yet, if you are applying for a temporary resident visa via paper application, it is best to apply from your home country. If you are applying from a country that you have authorized status in, then you may apply at the nearest visa application centre (VAC). Once you submit the application at the VAC, they may be able to ensure that your application is complete and you have submitted all of the appropriate documentation. Additionally, you must indicate why you are applying from a country that is not your country of citizenship.

Q: I have an approved temporary resident visa. What can I expect when entering Canada?

A: When you arrive in Canada at a port of entry, the immigration officer will ensure that you indeed meet the requirements in order to enter Canada. If you meet all of the requirements, then the officer will authorize your stay in Canada by stamping your passport and/or issuing another document, such as a permit. Keep in mind, if there is no date or document in your passport indicating your authorized stay, your temporary resident status will expire in six months from the date of entry into Canada. If you received an additional permit, such as a work permit, study permit, etc. then the expiry date of your authorized stay will be indicated on the document.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients gain entry into Canada as visitors. If you believe that you may be eligible to apply, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

How to Apply for a Visitor Visa to Canada
FAQs for the Ontario Provincial Nomination Program...

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here