Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Minor Children Can Study in Canada

Minor Children Can Study in Canada

Minor Children Can Study in Canada

How Can I apply for a Minor’s Study Permit

Many parents want to have their children have the best education possible. As you know, the Canadian educational system is highly respected worldwide, so this is why many children want to come to Canada to study. In order to legally study in Canada, most international students, including minor children, require a study permit. However, study permits are not easily approved. Don’t worry! If you are interested in applying for a minor’s study permit, then continue reading this blog for useful information!

What is a Minor’s Study Permit

A minor’s study permit allows minor children to study in Canada, as long as they abide to the conditions laid out by the permit itself. Similar to a regular study permit, a minor study permit allows a minor child to study in Canada at a designated learning institute for a specific period of time.

Who should apply For a Minor’s Study Permit

Not every minor child needs to apply for a minor’s study permit. Please see following the exemptions:

· The minor child is attending Kindergarten

· The minor child is accompanied by parents that are refugees or refugee claimants, or, the child is a refugee claimant themselves.

· One of the child’s parents is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada

· One of the minor child’s parents is already permitted to work or study in Canada.

Requirements to Apply for Minor’s Study Permit

As previously mentioned, study permits are not easily approved. In order to have a successful study permit application, the child must be accepted by a Canadian designated learning institution. How do you show that the child has been accepted ? This is when the letter of acceptance is needed. Since minor children are indeed needed to be taken care of by a responsible, mature adult, the parents need to demonstrate their support. Most minor children must also demonstrate they will be in the country beforehand with an approved parent, legal guardian or custodian within Canada. A custodian in Canada is a responsible adult (this can be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident), who can take care of and support the minor, if no parent will be accompanying the minor child to study in Canada.

Please note, not everyone can be a custodian for a minor applicant. In order to prove that you are a custodian for a minor applicant, you need to send a document titled Custodianship Declaration Form to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.

Application Process

The most important thing about the application process is that you will need to demonstrate the importance of pursuing a Canadian education. This can include how this Canadian education will benefit your children in the long run. Of course, the applicant will need to tell immigration why he or she wants to choose Canada for their education. In order to better demonstrate your education goals to the IRCC, you are highly recommended to write a detailed study plan to show how you will put your degree towards your future career in your home country once it is completed. Indeed, Immigration does care about how much money you have, so that you will be able to financially support yourself for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. Last but not least, you are required to promise that you will not overstay your authorized stay in Canada; you need to show immigration officers that you will return to your home country. How do you do this? You must demonstrate ample ties to your home country, and you are simply here to study..

How long can I stay in Canada with my minor’s study permit

Minor’s study permits can only allow the applicants to stay in Canada for a specific period of time, but this still depends on individual circumstances. For example, if your child is attending primary school (from grades 1 through 8), the minor’s study permits are typically issued for one year. Even though study permits have an expiration date, they can still be renewed.  On the other hand, if you are attending secondary school (grades 9 through 12), then the study permit can be valid for a maximum of 4 years. 


Contact Akrami and Associates

If you would like to come to Canada as a minor to study, but are unsure if you need a study permit, it is important to take all of the aforementioned information into consideration before applying. Study permit applications are difficult to pursue on your own, especially if you are unfamiliar; it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Furthermore, it is very important you determine, before trying to enter Canada, whether the child accompanying you will need a study permit in order to attend a Canadian school. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients enter Canada to pursue studies with and without obtaining a study permit. If you believe that you may be eligible to apply for a study permit or if you would like assist with determining whether you need a study permit or not, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Do I Really Need to Hire an Immigration Lawyer or ...
Young Foreign Nationals Working in Canada

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here