Shabnam Akrami Blogs
Requirements of sponsorship
If you want to sponsor to your any family member, you have to sign a contract that is called the “undertaking.” By signing this undertaking you promise or guarantee that you will provide financial support or basic needs to your spouse, common-law partner, or any other relative or dependent children. You also have to pay for their medical expense which is not covered by health service like dental care, eye care or any other health needs.
In order to sponsor a family member under family sponsorship class you have to be eligible. There are few requirements before you apply your family members and those are:
- You have to be 18 years of age or older than 18 in order to apply for family member
- You have to be Canadian citizenship or permanent resident
- You have to sponsoring a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class
- The person has to live in Canada or continue live In Canada once the sponsored person get permanent resident status
- You have to sign an agreement with your spouse or common-law partner to make sure that you both understand your responsibilities and obligations
- Sign an undertaking which shows that you will provide basic needs to your spouse or common-law partner or dependent child
- You also have to prove that you have sufficient income, so you can provide them basic needs or support them financially. You have to provide a document Notice of Assessment or printout Option C from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) that shows your financial resources from last 12 months. If you are working currently you also have to provide a letter from your employer that show your length of employment and your salary as well.
- Your family member whom you want to sponsor has to be admissible. If they have serious health issue, and criminal background, they may not be admissible.
- Your family member can also be inadmissible on the grounds of security, human or international rights violations, and serious criminality or organized criminality
If you are sponsoring you have to meet few more requirements. If any of the following apply to you then you are not eligible to sponsor, if you are:
- In prison;
- An undischarged bankrupt;
- Under a removal order, if permanent resident;
- Receiving government welfare assistance, except for disability;
- In default of court- ordered support payments to an ex-spouse or child;
- Behind in payments on any immigration loan;
These are few basic requirements in general for sponsorship and you have and the person whom you are sponsoring has to be admissible in order to have valid sponsor. It is your responsibility to provide all required documents and check your eligibility before you apply.
If you have a question whether you or your family members are eligible under the family sponsorship class or not, feel free to call us or send us email. We can definitely provide you additional information about eligibility criteria and will choose a best option for you and you will guide what should you do if you are not eligible.