Giovanni Blog

Giovanni Blog about Canadian Immigration matters.

What happens after the sponsored party enters Canada?

Once your application has been approved and the sponsored party has entered Canada. Your duties to the sponsor party still continue. In order to get your application approved, you would have signed an undertaking, and depending on the terms of the undertaking, you still owe a duty to the sponsored party.

You are responsible for providing the necessities, which include housing, clothes, food or the money for pay these things. Usually:

  • If you are sponsoring your parents or grandparents, you must support them for 20 years
  • For spouses it is usually 3 years and
  • For children it could 10 years or till the child reaches the age of 18, whichever is longer.

If you fail to abide by the terms of the undertaking, and the parties you sponsored apply for Ontario Works or for Ontario disability benefits, and get the benefits. You as the sponsor now owe that money to the government. You will not be able to sponsor anyone else in the future till you pay back the money.

For instance, you sponsored your wife, and after 1 year you both separated, and as a result you decided not to support her anymore. Despite the fact that you separated you have the obligation to pay for her necessities for at least 3 years. Since, she is new to the country has, and was depended on you for support, she applied to Ontario Works for support. Now the money she gets from the government is now a loan to you, as now you owe that money to the government.

Before you sponsor a relative, it is important that understand your obligations and duties as the sponsor. It is also necessary for you know what an undertaking is and what terms of an undertaking are.

I hope this helped, and if you have any further questions about your sponsorship applications. You can contact us, and our team of experienced professionals will be happy to answer your questions.

Changes in the Live-In Caregiver Program
Things You Need to Apply for TRP at Canadian Borde...

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here