Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Will Bridging Open Work Permits Continue Under Express Entry?

Will Bridging Open Work Permits Continue Under Express Entry?

Can you bridge your Open Work permit?

Yes, Open Work Permits will continue during the Express Entry process. However, you will have to receive an approval-in-principle of your application before you will be able to apply for the Work Permit.

The approval-in-principle will just simply outline all of the terms and conditions that will be in connection of this process.

Why would you bridge your Open Work Permit?

If you are to bridge your Open Work Permit that is about to expire, it will allow you to keep working while waiting on a final outcome during the Express Entry process.

How do you know if you are eligible to bridge your Open Work Permit?

In order to be able to bridge your Open Work Permit during the Express Entry Program you must:

  • Currently already be in Canada
  • Have a valid status on a work permit that is going to expire within 4 months
  • Receive confirmation that your Permanent Resident application is acceptable under at least 1 of the Economic Class programs, and;
  • Show that you have made an application for an Open Work Permit

The only way that you will be issued a bridging Open Work Permit is if you requested one. Unless it is specified that you want one, you will not receive one.

Who is able to receive an Open Work Permit?

In order to obtain an Open Work Permit, you will need to apply under one of the Canadian Permanent Resident classes. Examples of the classes are:

  • Live-in Caregiver
  • Spouses and/or Common-law Partners in Canada class
  • Protected Persons, etc.

If you have an Open Work Permit you may not be required to have a Labour Market Opinion or even a job offer to support it.

What are the benefits?

Some of the main benefits of Bridging Open Work Permits under Express Entry are as follows:

  • Allows you to maintain your status while you are waiting
  • Allows you to continue working through the Express Entry process
  • Avoids unnecessary request to Human Resources
  • Your process remains as efficient as possible

What does all of this mean for your spouse, common-law partner or dependant?

If certain conditions are met by you, your spouse or common-law partner may also be able to apply for an Open Work Permit.

In order for a dependant to apply for a Work Permit, they must obtain either a Labour Market Impact Assessment OR an exemption based on your specific situation.

If you have any questions or concerns about any of this process our staff is experienced and are always willing to help. If there is anything that we can assist you with in order for you to be successful please contact us and let us know.

Canadian Experience Class
Refugee Status

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here