How to Bring My Girlfriend to Canada?

Posted in Visitor Visa Canada

Bring My Girlfriend to Canada

This is an extremely common question that many of our clients ask us on a regular basis. A girlfriend, unfortunately, does not fall under the family class as a loved one and therefore cannot be sponsored for permanent resident status. You'll have to settle for temporary status documents such as a temporary resident visa (Visitor Visa).

Depending on your girlfriends country of citizenship she may or may not require a temporary resident visa. Some countries are considered visa exempt and do not require a status document to enter Canada. They may even remain in Canada for up to six months at a time without being required to exit the country. If an applicant wishes to remain in the country longer than that, they will need authorization to do so.

If you have enclosed the country which is considered visa exempt she will not require a temporary resident visa (Visitor Visa). As mentioned above, she can remain in Canada for up to six months at a time without requiring any sort of authorization.

For example, if your girlfriend is an American citizen, under the North American Free Trade Agreement she may enter Canada without applying for a Visitor Visa.  Once she enters Canada, she will be considered an implied Visitor to Canada.

You may also wish to sponsor her either as your spouse once you are married, or as a common-law partner once you have resided together for a min of 12 months.  This obviously comes with a number of requirements on your part as well as financial undertakings that you will be responsible for.   It is not an agreement to be entered into lightly.

If you have already sponsored your partner abroad and wish for her to visit you in Canada you'll face the issue of dual intent. As you are applying for temporary document while having a permanent matter in process, can cause issues at the border.   An officer may determine that your girlfriend will overstay her welcome in Canada as she intends to permanently reside with you in the country. You'll need to satisfy the officer that she will exit the country and that she will not remain permanently until her PR application is approved.  You can do this by demonstrating ties to her home country.

Whatever your specific situation is, Akrami & Associates can help you achieve your goals. Contact us to find out how we can help you.

Tags: Visitor Visa Canadian Temporary Residence Canadian Immigration How to Bring My Girlfriend to Canada?

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here