To Apply For Canadian Citizenship As An Adult, You Must:
- Be a permanent resident,
- Be 18 years of age or older,
- Have lived in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the four years before the date you sign your application,
- Have an adequate knowledge of either English or French,
- Not be a security risk,
- Not be criminally prohibited,
- Have an adequate knowledge of Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship,
- Not be under a removal order (in other words, the Government of Canada has not ordered you to leave the country), and
- Attend a ceremony and take the oath of citizenship
What Are The Residence Requirements?
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application.
It is important to also understand that you cannot meet the residence requirements for citizenship without a minimum of two (2) years as a permanent resident.
When calculating your time in Canada:
- Only the four (4) years preceding the date of your application are taken into account,
- Each day you lived in Canada before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day,
- Each day you lived in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day,
- Time spent serving a sentence for an offence in Canada (e.g. prison, penitentiary, jail, reformatory, conditional sentence, probation and/or parole) cannot be counted toward residence
We Can Help You!
We have dealt with hundreds of immigration cases. We have helped our clients in their difficult situations and have guided them to draft a more effective application. We can help you draft your application and arrange the required documents. A well-planned and complete application will increase your likelihood of acceptance and will save you from hassle.
If you are worried about the legal fees – Don't be! Our goal is to help everyone that is interested in immigrating to Canada.Contact us and we can provide numerous options for you. You can also purchase our very inexpensive Do it Yourself Immigration Kit on Citizenship which details everything for you.>If you are still not sure, feel free to get back to us. We will review your case before you submit it to give you the best possible outcome.