Qualify as a Business Visitor
You may qualify as a business visitor if you plan to visit Canada temporarily to seek out new business opportunities in Canada, to invest or to expand on existing business agreements.
You should note that if you are from a country that requires a visa to visit Canada, you must apply for a Temporary Resident Visa just like any other temporary visitor to Canada. There is no separate application for business visitors. The Temporary Resident Visa covers all visitors, including those in Canada, on business.
Business visitors typically stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks at a time. To be considered a business visitor, you must demonstrate that:
- your trip is less than six months, and you will not be entering the Canadian Labour Market
- your main business and income are from outside of Canada
- and profits your business may make will be outside of Canada
- have the proper supporting business documentation
- You meet Canada’s basic requirements and:
- have a valid travel document
- are financially capable of taking care of yourself while in Canada as well as on your trip home
- intend on leaving Canada once your business is concluded
- do not have any inadmissibility issues
Business in Canada that qualifies can include activities like:
- buying Canadian goods or services for your business back home
- taking orders for your business
- attending meetings, conferences, conventions or trade fairs
- providing after-sales service
- being trained by a Canadian parent company
- training employees of a Canadian subsidiary
- being trained by a Canadian company that has sold you goods or services
To our American neighbours, under the North American Free Trade Agreement, a U.S. or Mexican national may also take part in other activities, such as research, marketing and general service.
If you plan to stay longer than six months or intend to work in Canada, you may be considered a temporary worker and have to apply for a work permit.
Forward Immigration has been helping to connect businesses worldwide and continues to be an advocate for international business. With a strong knowledge base in these matters, we can certainly assist you in achieving your business goals in Canada.