LCP Mandatory Employment
An employment contract between the employer and the live-in caregiver, outlining the terms and conditions of employment, is a legal requirement of the LCP and must be provided as part of an application for a new work permit or a work permit renewal under the program. The employment contract must be signed by both the employer and the live-in caregiver.
The live-in caregiver position being offered must be full-time, and all terms and conditions outlined in the employment contract must, by law, abide by provincial/territorial employment standards and labour laws. Housework, cleaning or other similar domestic duties, such as food preparation, may be allowable as a small proportion of the overall duties, and when clearly related to the duties of caring for the individual(s), however, cannot be the primary duty.
The signed written employment contract between live-in caregivers and their employers must demonstrate that LCP requirements are met by including a description of the following:
- Mandatory employer-paid benefits, including:
- Transportation to the location of work in Canada
- Medical insurance coverage is provided from the date of the live-in caregiver’s arrival until he or she is eligible for provincial health insurance.
- Workplace safety insurance coverage for the duration of employment
- All recruitment fees, including any amounts payable to a third-party recruiter or agents hired by the employer that would otherwise have been charged to the live-in caregiver
- Job duties which clearly demonstrate that the employee’s primary duty will be live-in caregiving
- Hours of work
- Accommodation arrangements (including, where applicable, room and board)
- Holiday and sick leave entitlements
- Termination and resignation terms.
We can Help You!
We have dealt with hundreds of immigration cases. We have helped our clients in their difficult situations and have guided them to draft a more effective application. We can help you draft your application and arrange the required documents. A well-planned and complete application will increase your likelihood of acceptance and will save you from hassle.