A common law sponsorship application is aimed at facilitating your partner's permanent resident status in Canada through sponsorship. When completing your common law sponsorship application there are a number of things you should keep in mind on how to complete your application.
First, is making sure you have all the correct forms as an excellent way to begin the process. It is recommended that the forms be completed last as information may change by the time the application is submitted or updated forms may be released by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. You will also want to make sure that you have gathered the correct documentation and that the information in your supporting documents clearly reflects the information completed on the application forms.
- Application to Sponsor and Undertaking – IMM 1344A
- Sponsorship Agreement – IMM 1344B
- Sponsorship Evaluation – IMM 5481 or Financial Evaluation – IMM 1283
- Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union – IMM 5409
- Sponsor Questionnaire – IMM 5540
- Generic Application Form for Canada – IMM 0008
- Additional Dependants/Declaration – IMM 0008 DEP (if applicable)
- Schedule A: Background Declaration – IMM 5669
- Spouse/Partner Questionnaire – IMM 5490
- Additional Family Information – IMM 5406
Once you have an understanding of the information that will be expected of you, gather all the appropriate documentation as per the checklist as well as any additional documentation that supports your application.
- Travel Documents and Passports for sponsor and applicant
- Sponsor – Option C Printout
- Sponsor – Proof of Employment
- Identity and Civil Status Documents for sponsor and applicant
- Dependant information, if applicable
- Applicant - Police Certificates and Clearances
- Photos Meeting Specifications
- Applicant – Proof of Medical Exam completed by a Panel Physician
- Proof of relationship for applicant and sponsor
- Proof of cohabitation for at least 12 months
Where to Submit the Application
Finally, determine where you will be submitting your application. Depending on whether it is in Canada or overseas will play a role in determining the appropriate processing centre. Prepare an envelope to the appropriate address as indicated. Be sure to include the processing fee receipt as proof of payment. The processing fee for a sponsorship is $550.00 CAD: $75.00 CAD for the sponsor and $475.00 CAD for the principle applicant.
You will also be required to pay $450.00 CAD for the Right of Permanent Residence Fee. This can be paid upfront at the time of the application or after upon request by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm1-416-477-2545
For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives.