FAQs: Common Law Sponsorship

Posted in Common-law Sponsorship Canada

Common Law Sponsorship FAQs

Progressively, Canada recognizes many forms of relationships. Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible to sponsor common law partners.

How do I sponsor my Common Law Partner for permanent residence in Canada?

Sponsoring your common law partner for permanent resident status in Canada is not only based on your relationship itself but must also meet basic criteria to be considered common law. Once you have obtained the proper and relevant documentation, depending on whether or not your partner resides with you in Canada or abroad will be an indicator in where and how you submit your application.

What documents do I need to sponsor my Common Law Partner for permanent residence in Canada?

Part of a common law application is not only demonstrating the genuineness of your relationship, but that you are indeed in a common law relationship. This includes demonstrating cohabitation. Documents that prove this can be in the form of joint bank accounts, joint bills, and joint property ownership or lease agreements. Documents to demonstrate genuineness can range from photos to travel itineraries.

How do I sponsor my Common Law Partner for permanent residence in Canada?

There is definitely a difference between sponsoring a common law partner abroad versus from within Canada. There are certain pros and cons to each of these applications. If your spouse currently resides in Canada, this is called an inland application. Should you wish to sponsor your common law partner in Canada, your partner will have the ability to remain in Canada on what is called "implied status" until a decision is made. On the other hand, your partner is strongly recommended not to leave Canada until this decision is made. If they do leave prior to a decision, their application could be considered abandoned.

How do I sponsor my Common Law Partner for permanent residence who is not in Canada?

This is called an overseas application. In cases where your common law partner resides abroad or outside of Canada, your application is still first submitted in Canada but will then be moved to a visa office abroad for further processing. In this way, your application will be assessed in two parts. First the sponsor will be assessed, once the sponsor is approved, the application will then be moved to the visa office responsible for your partner's country of citizenship or residence for further processing.

How long does it take to sponsor my Common Law Partner for permanent residence?

Permanent resident applications have extensive processing times and can take up to two years to process depending on the factors of your unique case. This is why preparing a strong application is crucial to avoiding undue processing delays.

Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm


For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives. 

Tags: Common-law Sponsorship Family Class Sponsorship Canadian Permanent Residence Canadian Immigration FAQs: Common Law Sponsorship

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our immigration specialists will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our immigration specialist will contact you. Click here

  • Reviews

    Reception was very nice and was sure to answer the questions he could but made sure I was taken care of by a rep at the firm. Shabnam was extremely helpful and I will be calling again when I am ready to proceed.

    Salvatore M. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    I got my visitors visa thanks to Shabnam. I just want to thank her and all the team for her hard work. They all did a very good job.

    Lucy A. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Akrami & Associates was extremely professional and the most efficient legal team I have ever had the pleasure of dealing. They responded to my emails quickly, never missed a phone call and explained the process to me in such a way that anyone could understand, even me. Thanks to them, I was able to hire the workers my business needed mush sooner than I had ever expected. You can’t go wrong with them.

    Fahim S. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    We have used Akrami & Associates for all of our immigration needs. They have never let us down and we couldn’t be happier. They took care of us from start to finish with little effort on our part. An excellent group of legal professionals.

    Michael W. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Fantastic news, I entered Canada without a hitch. Once the guard at the border saw the package you had prepared for me, he took about ten minutes and handed me my permit. What I relief! I don’t know why I ever tried this without you guys! Thank you!

    Paul R. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Shabnam, I wanted to personally thank you for all your hard work and dedication to me and my wife. Our new lives together are all thanks to you. Considering the unique circumstances that initially prevented her, I had lost hope. I will make sure that if anyone I know needs immigration help, I will be sending them your way. Again, I can’t thank you enough.

    Frank T. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star