Spouse or Common Law Sponsorship Video

Posted in Common Law Sponsorship Videos

Looking into sponsoring your spouse or common law partner to Canada? Not sure whether to file for inland or overseas spousal or common law application? Watch our video to learn more about your options available and if you meet the qualification criteria for sponsorship.

Spouse or Common Law Sponsorship

There are few things you must consider prior to sponsoring your Spouse or Common-Law Partner to Canada. The first being as the sponsor and the applicant you would have to decide if you would want to submit an application inside or outside of Canada. When submitting an Inland Spousal application the spouse has to in Canada. In order for the spouse to in Canada they would have to apply for Visitor Visa to Canada if they come from a country that is not exempt from the Visitor Visa such as Pakistan, India, Africa (see cic.gc.ca for complete list) If the person comes from visa exempt country such as Germany, Italy, Holland all they have to do is apply for Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). So once the foreign applicant has obtained the Visitor Visa they can submit an Inland Sponsorship application. If the Visitor Visa was denied then unfortunately you would have to submit an Overseas Sponsorship application which means the spouse is outside of Canada. When submitting an Overseas Sponsorship application the applicant has to submit their application to a visa office within the country in which he/she resided for at least one year. The best way going about this is submitting your application to your country of citizenship.

There are two different stages for sponsorship applications. The first stage includes in which the sponsor has to demonstrate genuineness in the relationship. This can be demonstrated by providing ample documentation to show their relationship such as how you met, where you met, where your relationship is going. Some examples include, phone logs, FB chats, Skype, trips taken together, pictures of you and your partner with their family members, gift receipts, letters and anything else that shows your relationship is genuine. The first stage approximately takes 12 months for processing once the first stage is completed your application moves to the second stage. The second stage involves the immigration officer determining the eligibility of the person you are sponsoring based on medical and criminal background check. This stage takes another 12 months or more. Usually, Inland Sponsorship takes longer to process then Overseas Sponsorship application.

When sponsoring someone you have to ensure you meet all the requirements or else CIC can simply refuse your application or delay processing times. Some of these requirements you need to meet as the sponsor include:

  • Being 18 years of age as the sponsor
  • Must be Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada as the sponsor
  • You cannot be in prison, bankrupt, under removal order or charged with serious offence as the sponsor
  • You cannot have been sponsored to Canada as spouse within the last 5 years as the sponsor

Also, when submitting an inland sponsorship application you cannot appeal the decision meaning you have to exit Canada immediately upon expiration of your visa. The overseas application if refused you can appeal it within 30 days.

So whether you decide to sponsor your spouse from inside or outside of Canada the sponsorship application can be a complex matter, contact us today to help you make the process as simple as possible.

With Akrami & Associates there is always a way!!


If you like this video please subscribe to our channel!

We hope you enjoy the video!

For more information on Common Law Sponsorship and many other immigration matters, check out our site:



or Call us at

416-477-2545 | 1-877-820-7121

416 477 2570 | 1 877 622 8182

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tags: canadian common law documents Video how to submit my common law sponsorship application Video common law sponsorship documents Video documents to include common law partner Video common law application Video common law requirements Video we can help with your common law application Video how to sponsor my common law partner to Canada Video Canada common law sponsorship Video family sponsorship Video Submitting Spousal or Common Law or Conjugal Application Video Canada Spousal/Common Law/Conjugal/Documents Demonstrating Common Law Relationship Difference Between Spousal/Common Law/Conjugal Sponsorship common law sponsorship in canada Canada Spousal Sponsorship videos Definition of Commona Law Common Law Sponsorship Documents Sponsoring my Common Law Partner to Canada Common Law Relationship FAQs: Common Law Sponsorship What Does Common Law Mean in Canada Documents to Include Common Law Partner Completing a Common Law Application Common Law Requirements We Can Help With Your Common Law Application Common Law Sponsorship: Supporting Documents Common-law Sponsorship Canada Common-law Sponsorship

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here