Conjugal Sponsorship Requirements

Posted in Conjugal Partner Sponsorship Canada

The conjugal sponsorship category is a testament to Canada's commitment of understanding and consideration when it comes to family unification. Eligible permanent residents and Canadian citizens who qualify to sponsor may facilitate their conjugal partner for permanent resident status.

In order to qualify as a sponsor, you must:

  • be 18 years of age or older,
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident,
  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class,
  • live in Canada or provide evidence, if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, that you will live in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a permanent resident,
  • sign an agreement with your partner confirming that each of you understands your obligations and responsibilities,
  • sign an undertaking promising to provide for your partner's basic requirements and, if applicable, those of his or her dependent children


When you agree to be a sponsor, you must sign a contract called an undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. The undertaking is a promise to provide financial support for your partner's basic requirements and those of his or her dependent children. This also includes other health care not provided by public health, such as eye and dental care. The undertaking ensures that these persons and their family members do not have to apply for social assistance. Its length varies according to their age and their relationship to you.

Other Factors That You Should Consider:

  • demonstrate the genuineness of your relationship,
  • that you have existed in a marriage like commitment and,
  • for extenuating reasons beyond your control, you are unable to marry or cohabitate.

This situation goes beyond simply having a physical relationship. People in a valid conjugal relationship exist in a marriage like commitment but are separated for reasons outside their ability to control. The reasons may be government or religious persecution or unsafe environments like a country at war. Essentially, this couple would be in a spousal or common law relationship if not for these circumstances.

If you have made unsuccessful attempts at bringing your partner to Canada and you are unable to travel to their country, this may qualify. Contact us for further information. If this route does not work for you, we will certainly discuss other options that may be available to you.

Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm


For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives. 

Tags: Conjugal Partner Sponsorship Family Class Sponsorship Canadian Permanent Residence Canadian Immigration Conjugal Sponsorship Requirements

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here