Criminal Rehabilitation

Criminal Rehabilitation Canada

Criminal Rehabilitation What You Need To Know!

Many people are disappointed to know that their travels to Canada may be affected due to their previous criminal convictions and as a result in them being deemed 'inadmissible' to Canada.

There are many ways to deal with criminal inadmissibility for the purposes of coming to Canada on either a temporary or permanent basis. Depending on your situation below are some ways we can address your criminal inadmissibility:

  1. Not all prior convictions will mean that you will be refused entry to Canada. Sometimes depending on your reason to enter Canada and your past conviction the officer at the border might still let you in. For example, you need to enter Canada for an urgent business meeting and you were convicted of a minor offense of disorderly conduct. Now, even though Disorderly Conduct is an offense, it is possible to argue at the border why the need is higher that the possible risk. Of course it is still up the officer at the border to decide if they want to let you know. But if you arrive at the border with proper paper work, it is very possible you might be let it. So prepare the proper paperwork will be key to the officer allowing you enter Canada.
  2. There may be no equivalent under Canadian federal law for the foreign offense that is the subject of conviction. This is often a technical argument based on the fact that the Canadian offense has a more narrow interpretation than the foreign offense in question. To know this, we will need to know the foreign offense and then compare it to the Canadian Criminal Code. If the offense you were convicted of outside of Canada, is not considered an offense in Canada, then you will be allowed entry.
  3. Having your foreign conviction expunged might negate the inadmissibility to Canada.
  4. Depending on how much time has elapsed you may be deemed rehabilitated and that might overcome your criminal inadmissibility as well. Depending on the type of offense and how many offenses are on your record, you may be considered rehabilitated after 5 or 10 years from completing your sentence. The passage of enough time since the completion of the sentence, in the absence of subsequent convictions, may in certain circumstances be considered as deemed rehabilitation and the offender would no longer be inadmissible to Canada.
  5. You may also submit an application for rehabilitation. Once the application is submitted you need to wait the processing times to see the decision made on your matter. Even when you are not eligible to submit a rehabilitation application, or you have submitted the application and are waiting for a decision, there is always the possibility of apply for a Temporary Resident Permit.

What Is Criminal Rehabilitation?

What Is Criminal Rehabilitation?

Criminal Rehabilitation is needed for persons who are inadmissible to Canada. Once you are approved for rehabilitation then, assuming no further offenses are committed, the past conviction(s) will no longer be a barrier to Canadian temporary or permanent residency.

Remember that Canadian Criminal Rehabilitation can only be done for convictions outside of Canada. If you have been convicted of an offense while in Canada, depending on the circumstances, then you may need to apply for a Pardon.

Who Needs Criminal Rehabilitation?

An individual may be eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation if they meet the following three criteria:

  • They have committed an act outside of Canada that is considered an offense in Canada;
  • They were convicted or admitted to committing the act; and
  • At least five years have passed since the completion of sentencing (if any)

If you want to apply for Permanent Residency and you have a prior conviction then you must be considered rehabilitated in order to receive Permanent Resident status. Applicants wishing to stay in Canada temporarily may have the option to pursue a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) instead of Rehabilitation. However, a TRP must be renewed, whereas successful rehabilitation permanently resolves the problem of criminal inadmissibility for future stays in Canada.

For temporary entry only a TRP is needed. However, if you are eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation then we advise you to still apply for the rehabilitation. However, if you wish to apply for PR or citizenship then only Criminal Rehabilitation is accepted. Without this your application may be returned or even refused.

How Do I Pursue Criminal Rehabilitation Application?

This is a good question. It really depends on the seriousness of the offense and how many offenses are on your record.

Individuals who committed a single non-serious offense and more than 10 years have passed since the completion of any sentencing may be "deemed rehabilitated". If this is the case then you technically do not have to pursue a formal application for Criminal Rehabilitation. However, we still recommend that you obtain a letter from a legal expert that explains that you are "deemed rehabilitated." Unfortunately there are countless cases where clients have been refused entry into Canada because of their past criminality even though they are considered deemed rehabilitated.

If less than 10 years ago have elapsed since you have completed your sentence then you will have to pursue an application for Criminal Rehabilitation. We can help here. At Akrami & Associates we have successfully filed Criminal Rehabilitation application.

A serious criminal offense, where the maximum sentence in Canada would be ten years or more, will always require a Rehabilitation application regardless of when sentencing was completed.

Criminal Rehabilitation Requirements:

Criminal Rehabilitation Requirements

If you have a criminal inadmissibility, travel to Canada can be difficult if not all together not possible without the proper authorization. Qualifying for Criminal Rehabilitation depends on the seriousness of your offence as well as when it actually occurred. More than that, you must have satisfied all the conditions of your sentence.

If you were convicted of an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years:

  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation : five (5) years after completion of the sentence imposed.

If you committed an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years:

  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation : five (5) years after commission of the offence.

If you were convicted of an offence or you committed an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of ten years or more:

  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation : five (5) years from completion of the sentence or commission of the offence.

If you were convicted for two (2) or more offences outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would constitute summary conviction offences:

  • You are not eligible to apply for individual rehabilitation and must wait five years since the sentence was served or to be served to be deemed rehabilitated

Determining when to count these five years for the situations above can also cause some confusion. Below is a guide to know when the count may begin.

Suspended sentence: count five (5) years from the date of sentencing.

Suspended sentence with a fine: count five (5) years from the date the fine was paid. In the case of varying payment dates, the rehabilitation period starts on the date of the last payment.

Imprisonment without parole: count five (5) years from the end of the term of imprisonment.

Imprisonment and parole: count five (5) years from the completion of parole.

Probation: probation is part of the sentence. Count five (5) years from the end of the probation period.

Driving prohibition: count five (5) years from the end date of the prohibition. You are prohibited by the Criminal Court from driving.

What is the First Step to get Criminal Rehabilitation?

Determining equivalency is a difficult task. It requires analyzing both the Canadian Criminal Code or other federal statute as well as the laws of the country in which the offense took place.
It is for this reason we highly advise you speak to a Immigration Specialist. Please give us a call and let us help you move forward!

You can also check our site dedicated to Denied Entry To Canada

We Can Help You With Your Criminal Rehabilitation Application

We have dealt with hundreds of Criminal Rehabilitation Application cases. We have helped our clients in their difficult situations and have guided them to draft a more effective application. We can help you draft your application and arrange the required documents. A well-planned and complete application will increase your likelihood of acceptance and will save your from hassle.

If you are worried about the legal fees, don't be! Our goal is to help everyone that is interested in immigrating to Canada. Contact us and we can provide numerous options for you. You can also purchase our very affordable Do it Yourself Immigration Kit which details everything for you. If you are still not sure, feel free to get back to us. We will review your case before you submit it to give you the best possible outcome.

Immigration Lawyer Canada

Display #
Criminal Rehabilitation
Criminal Record and Application for Citizenship
When are you Eligible for Rehabilitation?
What is Rehabilitation?
Pardons outside Canada Does Always Mean Admissable
Multiple or More Serious Offences
Inadmissibility Deemed Rehabilitation
Criminal Rehabilitation What You Need To Know!
Tips for Applying for Criminal Rehabilitation
We Can Help You Apply for Criminal Rehabilitation
Criminal Rehabilitation Requirements
FAQs: Criminal Rehabilitation

Tags: Criminal Rehabilitation Canada Criminal Rehabilitation Denied entry to Canada Canadian Temporary Residence Canadian Immigration

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here