Electronic Travel Authorization Questions and Answers

Detailed Questions and Answers for Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

In this article, I will address questions and answers for Electronic Travel Authorizations (eTA) in order for you to further understand when an eTA is required and who needs an eTA. An eTA is intended for foreign nationals who come from visa-exempt countries and want to travel by air. It was created to make it easier on foreign nationals who do not require a visa but do need authorization to travel to Canada. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for an eTA, I suggest you read our article on “Who Needs an ETA” before reading this question and answer article. This article is intended to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to Electronic Travel Authorization.

Q: If I have submitted the documents for my eTA application and I have not received a response yet, am I still allowed to travel to Canada?

A: Unfortunately, no. An eTA is required and is mandatory in order to travel to Canada. If you decide to travel to Canada without an eTa, you will be refused entry into Canada. Therefore, you should not intend on travelling to Canada until you receive a decision with regards to your application. Additionally, in order for your time, and especially your money, not to be wasted, it is advisable to reschedule your flight if your travel date is approaching.

Q: Sadly, my application for an eTA was refused. Am I still able to travel to Canada?

A: Should you application for an eTA be refused, consequently, you will not be able to travel to Canada. If you try to travel to Canada, unfortunately, you will be stopped and disallowed from boarding your flight. It is advisable to read and acknowledge the reasons for refusal on your eTA application and once you have addressed those reasons, you may apply for another eTA.

Q: If I am transiting through Canada by air, and my final destination is in another country, am I still required to get an eTA?

A: Yes, you will need to get an eTA. Regardless of the time spent in Canada, whether you are transiting through Canada to go to another country, you will need an eTA or a visa, depending if you come from a visa-exempt country. On the other hand, if your plane is refueling in Canada, going to and from the U.S., you will not need an eTA. Additionally, if you are a passenger that is part of the China Transit Program or Transit Without Visa Program, you will not need an eTA or a visa either.

Q: What happens if I’m not able to submit an eTA application due to technical difficulties on the website, such as with the payment or the application form? Am I still able to travel to Canada?

A: No, you are not able to travel to Canada without an eTA. An eTA is a mandatory entry requirement for foreign nationals who are from visa-exempt countries. Therefore, if you are having problems with applying for an eTA, it is suggested to complete an enquiry form on the government’s website and state your problem. Once they respond to you, they will address your issues. However, if you attempt to travel to Canada, please be aware that you may be prevented from boarding your flight, or worse, refused entry into Canada.

Q: I have received communication from IRCC and they are requesting further documentation from me. However, I don’t think I can submit the documents by the requested deadline. Am I still allowed to travel to Canada?

A: It is important to submit the required documentation that IRCC is requesting from you. However, if you cannot provide the documentation in time, you should fill out a web form enquiry to explain what is happening and why you cannot provide the documentation in time, as well as request an extension to the stated deadline. Also, if you have an approaching travel date, it is advisable to reschedule your flight.

Q: If I am an American citizen, am I required to also get an eTA?

When travelling to Canada as an American citizen, or an American-Canadian citizen, you do not need an eTA to enter Canada, as long as you have a valid U.S. passport. Nonetheless, you must provide the Immigration officer with proper identification documents and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

Q: If I am a permanent resident of the U.S. and carry a Green Card, do I need to get an eTA? Also, does it make a difference if I am also a NEXUS or CANPASS member?

A: All permanent residents and Green Card holders require an eTA to travel to Canada, whether you are flying to or transiting through. However, you do not need an eTA if you are travelling to Canada by bus, car, train or boat, including cruise ships. In other words, as long as you are not travelling by air, you do not need an eTA. When travelling, always remember to carry your valid Green Card to show that you have lawful status and are a permanent resident within the U.S. Lastly, it does not matter if you are a NEXUS or CANPASS member, the aforementioned requirements are the same for these members.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Most importantly, you need to determine whether your country of origin is a visa exempt country before applying for an ETA. Additionally, if you are travelling by land or sea, remember that you do not need to apply for an ETA. Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, if you are unfamiliar, and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients travel to Canada with an ETA and they are now happily enjoying their visit in Canada. If you believe that you may be eligible for an ETA, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • July 10, 2024

    How to get an Intra-Company Transfer Work Permit

    How to get an Intra-Company Transfer Work Permit Are you wondering how to get an Intra Company Transfer work permit? The Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) Work Permit offers a streamlined pathway for companies to transfer key personnel to their Canadian branches. This permit allows skilled workers to leverage their [...]

  • how to improve my express entry points

    July 5, 2024

    How to improve your CRS score for Express Entry

    How to improve your CRS score for Express Entry Do you want to know how to improve your CRS score for Express Entry? Enhancing your CRS score involves a strategic approach, combining several factors to maximize your potential. Start by focusing on your educational credentials, ensuring all your [...]

  • July 4, 2024

    Denied Entry to Canada for a DUI

    Denied Entry to Canada for a DUI? Canada has strict immigration and border security policies, which include rigorous checks on individuals with criminal records. One common reason for being denied entry into Canada is a past conviction for driving under the influence (DUI). Have you been denied entry [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way