FAQs for Canadian Citizenship

Frequently Asked Questions for Canadian Citizenship

In this article, I will be answering frequently asked questions for Canadian citizenship in order for individuals to further understand what Canadian citizenship entails. Canadian Citizenship can only be requested and applied for by a permanent resident of Canada who meets specific criteria and also wishes to apply to become a Canadian citizen. This ultimately gives permanent residents of Canada, who have been residing in Canada for a specific amount of years, the opportunity and chance to finally become Canadian citizens. This is the final step for most permanent residents. If you are a permanent resident of Canada and feel as though you would be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship, I suggest you also read our other articles on Canadian Citizenship prior to reading this question and answer article. This article is meant to clarify any questions that individuals may have with regards to Canadian citizenship.

Q: If I am a Canadian citizen but my children were born in Australia, do they automatically obtain Canadian citizenship because of me?

A: This is a very popular question that is asked by many Canadian citizens all around the world. It is important to recognize that every individual’s situation is different from the other. Therefore, the official way in order to determine whether your children are or are not Canadian citizens is by applying for a proof of citizenship for them. Please keep in mind that this response to this question only applies to individuals who were already Canadian citizens when their children were born. Unfortunately, if you obtained Canadian citizenship after the birth of your children, they do not become Canadian citizens.

Q: Is it possible to count the time I’ve spent outside of Canada towards my physical presence requirement for Canadian citizenship?

A: It is important to note that any time spent outside of Canada, in fact, does not count toward your physical presence requirement for Canadian citizenship. There are, however, circumstances that are exempt to that rule. For instance, you may be able to count time spent outside Canada toward the physical presence requirement for Canadian citizenship, only if you:

  • Were a permanent resident of Canada employed in or with the – Public service of a province or territory – Federal public administration – Canadian Armed Forces
  • Lived outside of Canada with your Canadian spouse or Canadian common-law partner or permanent resident spouse, common-law partner, or parent who was employed in or with any of the aforementioned occupations

Please note that this does not include employment as a locally engaged person. Essentially, the physical presence requirement only counts the time after you have become a permanent resident and/or your common-law relationship began.

Q: How much exactly does the Canadian citizenship application fee cost?

A: Paying for the Canadian citizenship application and the amount of the application fee entirely depends on your age and your specific circumstance. For example, an adult that is over 18 years old would have a processing fee of $530 CAD. Additionally, the right of Canadian citizenship fee for that adult would be $100 CAD. Furthermore, a Stateless adult that is over 18 years old and born to a Canadian parent would have the same right of citizenship fee. On the other hand, an adopted minor that is under 18 years old would have a processing fee of only $100 CAD.

Therefore, it is best to determine your specific circumstance prior to paying for any fees. If you don’t, you may have to pay more or less for your Canadian citizenship application.

Q: Who exactly has to take the Canadian citizenship test?

A: This is very important to understand and know. There is an age requirement for the individuals who are required to take the Canadian citizenship test. Therefore, every permanent resident between the ages of 18 and 54 years of age that is applying for Canadian citizenship must take the Canadian citizenship test. This test is utilized by the government to determine whether or not you have the adequate knowledge of Canada and know and understand the responsibilities and privileges of Canadian citizenship.

This is quite beneficial for any permanent residents who are applying for Canadian citizenship that are either under the age of 18 or over the age of 54. As a result, they do not have to take the Canadian citizenship test. However, if you turn 55 years of age during the processing of your Canadian citizenship application, then you must still take the Canadian citizenship test. This is because you were under the age of 55 when you initially filed and signed your application.

Q: I am currently a citizen of another country. Is it possible that I may lose my citizenship if I become a Canadian citizen?

A: This question can apply to many permanent residents of Canada as they come from many different places all around the world. To answer the question, you can be both a citizen from another country as well as a Canadian citizen under Canadian law. However, some countries may not share these laws and may not let you keep your citizenship if you become a Canadian citizen. Therefore, it is highly recommended to contact your country’s embassy or consulate to ask if this will happen.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions about Canadian citizenship or how to apply for Canadian citizenship, it is important to discuss and ask your questions to the right individuals. Furthermore, by talking to immigration professionals about your questions, this will ease your worries and essentially assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, especially if you are unfamiliar. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients obtain Canadian citizenship. If you believe that you may be eligible for Canadian citizenship, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way