FAQs for Temporary Resident Permits

FAQ – Temporary Resident Permits

In this article, I will address a few popular questions and answers for Temporary Resident Permits in Canada and some important information to consider if you are applying for a Temporary Resident Permit application. A Temporary Resident Permit application is intended for foreign nationals with criminal inadmissibility who would like to visit Canada temporarily. It was intended to provide foreign nationals with a past criminal offence made in or outside of Canada with an opportunity to enter Canada even with their criminal inadmissibility. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, I suggest you read our article on “How to Apply for a Temporary Resident Permit” before reading this question and answer article. The intention of this article is meant to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to Temporary Resident Permits in Canada.

Q: What exactly is a Temporary Resident Permit?

A: A Temporary Resident Permit, also referred to as a “TRP,” is a document that permits foreign nationals with either criminal or medical inadmissibility to enter Canada temporarily.

Q: How do I apply for a Temporary Resident Permit?

A: Foreign nationals that would like to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit must do so by submitting their application to the Canadian consulate responsible for processing applications in the country where the foreign national is applying from and where they are currently residing in. Please note that American citizens also have the option to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit at a Canadian port of entry, which is either at a Canadian border or at a Canadian airport.

Q: How long is the validity period for a Temporary Resident Permit?

A: The validity period of a Temporary Resident Permit is ultimately determined by the Immigration officer that approves the application. Therefore, depending on why you need to enter Canada, the validity period will be issued for that specific time. For instance, if you have a one-day business trip to attend to in Canada, then the TRP could be issued for one-day. On the other hand, if the TRP is issued by the Immigration officer for up to three years, which is the maximum time they may issue a TRP, then you are permitted to enter Canada for up to those three years.

Q: How long does it take to get a final decision for my Temporary Resident Permit application?

A: The processing times for Temporary Resident Permit applications vary significantly depending on where you applied. If you applied for your Temporary Resident Permit at a Canadian consulate then it will take approximately three to six months to process on average; however, the processing times do fluctuate considerably. Therefore, it is always best to check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website prior to submitting your application to the consulate. Again, if you are an American citizen, you may apply for your Temporary Resident Permit at any Canadian port of entry and the decision will be made immediately by the Immigration officer that is assessing your application.

Q: If I apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, do I also need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

A: Luckily, if you apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, you do not need to apply for an eTA. If you have any criminal or medical inadmissibility to Canada, unfortunately you would not be eligible to apply for an eTA. Thus, the Temporary Resident Permit essentially replaces the need to apply for an eTA and if successful and approved, will allow you to travel to Canada.

Q: If I would like to apply for permanent residency in Canada, do I still need to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit as well?

A: This is a very common question for many individuals who would like to apply for permanent residency in Canada but also have inadmissibility issues. It is important to note that if you have any criminal inadmissibility to Canada and you have applied or will apply for permanent residency status in Canada, you must also apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation application instead of applying for a Temporary Resident Permit. The Criminal Rehabilitation application will essentially allow the foreign national with a past criminal offence, made in or outside of Canada, with an opportunity to overcome their criminal inadmissibility. Therefore, in the future, when the foreign national attempts to cross the Canadian border or enter the country via plane, they will no longer have an inadmissibility issue. Of course, the inadmissibility returns if there is another conviction after the Criminal Rehabilitation application has already been approved.

The Temporary Resident Permit in this circumstance will not help the foreign national with overcoming their criminal inadmissibility permanently like a Criminal Rehabilitation application would. Additionally, the permanent residency application will not be approved if the foreign national still has inadmissibility issues. Consequently, the foreign national must first overcome their criminal inadmissibility prior to applying for permanent residency in Canada.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients obtain authorization to enter Canada through a Temporary Resident Permit. If you believe that you may be eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way