FSTP Regulated Occupations and Credential Assessment

Posted in Federal Skilled Trades Program

Finding employment in Canada requires planning and determination. Many current Canadians and Permanent Resident already find difficulty obtaining a full time position. In the case of a foreign national, this may prove even more difficult for you to so.

You should obtain as much information as possible before you apply to immigrate. There is no guarantee that you will be able to work in your preferred occupation.

Although credential assessment and licensing are not requirements of an application under the Federal Skilled Trades Class, you need to be aware of these issues when considering immigrating to Canada.

Regulated Occupations

Twenty percent of people working in Canada work in occupations that are regulated to protect the health and safety of Canadians. Examples include nurses, engineers, electricians and teachers.

In some professions and trades it is illegal to work or even use the title of the profession or trade if you are not register with the regulatory body. In other professions and trades, you can do the work, but you must register with the regulatory body if you want ot use the title of the profession or trade.

Provincial and territorial regulatory bodies are responsible for establishing entry requirements for individual occupations recognizing prior credentials, training and experience and issuing licences required to practice. The recognition process varies among provinces and territories and among occupations. Recognition of qualifications and issuance of licenses can generally only be completed once in Canada. The process can take time. You may be asked to:

  • provide documentary evidence of your qualifications
  • undergo a language examination (which may differ from those required for immigration)
  • complete a technical exam (with accompanying fee)
  • do work supervised by others

Non-Regulated Occupations

For non-regulated occupations, there are no set requirements and there is no legal requirement to obtain a licence. The employer will set the standards and may very well request registration with a professional association.

Credential assessment

A credential assessment is advice on how qualifications from another country compare to Canadian qualifications. An assessment does not guarantee that:

  • a regulatory body will issue you a licence to practice, or
  • your credentials will be accepted by a Canadian employer

However, a credential assessment will help you understand the Canadian educational system and assist you with your job search.

In situations such as these where the validity of your education or credentials comes into question and the case just got a lot more complex, Akrami & Associates is here to help. We will go over the details of your case to ensure that your case is as strong as it can possibly be. With our wealth of our experience and insider knowledge, we are confident that we will be able to get the results you are looking for.

Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm


For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives. 

Tags: Federal Skilled Trades Program Economic Class Canadian Permanent Residence Canadian Immigration FSTP Regulated Occupations and Credential Assessment

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here