Hiring Foreign Worker to Canada

How can I Work in Canada as Foreign Worker?

Do you have barriers that restrict you from many great job opportunities that you qualify for just because you live outside of the country? Are you a foreign citizen or permanent resident who wants to work in Canada? Thankfully, there is a way to do so! If you are a foreign citizen/permanent resident who wants to work in Canada, you have to ask your employer to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application. If the LMIA application is successful, you are already three quarters of the way there. After the LMIA application is approved by the officer/government you will then need to apply for a Work Permit. As you may have already figured out by now, the LMIA application is a big and crucial part of the process to be able to work in Canada. Unfortunately, most people do not know how to complete the application properly which results in returned and unsuccessful applications. Akrami & Associates have worked on many successful LMIA applications and we can help you too. If you need help with your LMIA application, contact one of our experienced associates so that we could help you solve your case with ease and success.

Applying for Labour Market Impact Assessment for Foreign Worker

LMIA is the abbreviation for Labour Market Impact Assessment. A Labour Market Impact Assessment is a document that an employer has to complete in order to be able to hire a foreign worker. A Labour Market Impact Assessment application consists of various steps the employer has to take to show that he/she has attempted to hire a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada. The attempts can be shown through posting the job on different websites, offering a higher wage, putting the job posting longer than the requested period etc. Once you have demonstrated that as the employer you have reached out to Canadian citizens and landed immigrants to apply for the job first, and since no one applied, you have no choice but to hire a foreign applicant.

How long does LMIA Processing Take to Hire a Foreign Worker?

Completing a LMIA application can be quite a lengthy process due to the fact that there are many questions that you need to answer as the employer and steps you need to take receive a Positive LMIA. Once you have submitted the LMIA application to get decision on the application can range from 10 days to 3 months. Remember, the employer has to complete the application, not the applicant. At Akrami & Associates we could help you complete the LMIA application by guiding you and explaining each question step-by-step and ensuring success and avoid unnecessary delays in your application. Some questions to expect on a LMIA application are questions under the following subheadings; Business information/details, jobs offer information, declaration of employer etc.

Do I have to pay any fees for LMIA application?

As with any government application, there is an attached processing fee that comes along with it. For an LMIA application, the processing fee is $1000 CAD. Unfortunately, if you file an application incorrectly by missing a document or misreading a question, it will result in a failed application and you are not able to get your money back because it is not refundable. If you decide to re-apply and do the application over again, it would be $1000 again and so on. If your LMIA is approved, there is another fee that all foreign workers are required to pay, and that is the fee for obtaining a Work Permit. The Work Permit fee is an additional $150 CAD which is always paid by the applicant (not the employer). If you are struggling financially, we at Akrami & Associates have many helpful options to choose from such our “Do it Yourself Kit”. The kit provides you the tools to submit a strong application on your own.

Who is exempt from obtaining a Labor Market Impact Assessment?

There are many situations where people may be exempt from an LMIA application. Some of the people who are exempt from LMIA include persons that fall under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and anyone who is covered under international agreements; spouses/children of people who already possess a Canadian work permit, Spouses of full-time foreign students are eligible to obtain Open Work permits etc. Even though you may be one of these foreign people who are exempt from obtaining a Labour Market Impact Assessment, you are still required, by law, to apply for a work permit.

I have Job Offer with Canadian employer as a Foreign Worker, what Documents I need from my employer?

As the applicant, the employer has to send you the job offer with the Positive LMIA. This document is received from Employment and Social Development Canada that states the employer has been approved for LMIA and can hire you. Or the employer can send the offer of employment number that was received when the offer of employment was completed through Employer Portal when an LMIA was not needed. So to be able to move to the second step as the foreign worker to obtain the Work Permit you need to include the job offer letter, the employment contract, copy of the LMIA and the LMIA number.

There are obviously many other documents required when applying for a Labour Market Impact Assessment other than the application itself. One of the associates at Akrami and Associates can help you understand each document and its requirements and make sure that you do not miss any important documents, which is the cause of many returned and unsuccessful applications.

Contact Akrami & Associates if you are looking to hire a Foreign Worker to Canada

At Akrami and Associates, we always want success for our clients so we will do everything in our power to enhance our clients’ government applications by providing them our knowledge and experience on the legality of their case. Contact us today if you like to hire a foreign worker and unsure what steps to take submit a successful LMIA application.

With Akrami & Associates there is always a way!!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way