Hiring International Students In Canada

International students can bring a cultural diversity to a workplace. Are you a Canadian employer looking to hire an international student? Make more of an opening.


Hiring Study Permit Holders

International student can still be hired while they are completing their studies. Students may work off campus without a work permit as soon as they start their Canadian studies. Study permit holders are able to work for eligible Canadian employers for up to 20 hours/week during the academic year, and full time hours during summer and other scheduled breaks. Students do need to meet certain requirements. These include:

  • Be a full time student ( in a program that is a minimum of 6 months long)
  • Have a valid study permit
  • Be studying in an academic program that leads a degree, diploma or certificate, or in a professional/ vocational training program
  • Be enrolled in a designated learning institute at the post-secondary level or in Quebec- a vocational program at the secondary level

Once the student has met all of the above requirements, they may apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Before hiring an international student, the employer must make sure to receive a letter of enrolment to confirm they are studying full time in an eligible program at a designation learning institute.


Hiring Post-Graduate Work Permit Holders

The student may be eligible to apply for a post-graduate work permit (PGWP) once they have completed or graduated from the post- secondary program. The post graduate work permit is also an open work permit, this allowed the foreign student to work for any eligible Canadian employer for up to 3 years, depending on the length of the study program.

Unlike a closed work permit, you do not need to have an employment offer from a Canadian employer.


Student with Work Experience

A student with work experience may be eligible to apply for permanent residence through express entry.

Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) looks at the list below when assessing whether you are eligible for Express Entry:

  • Language abilities
  • Work experience
  • Nationality
  • Age
  • Family members

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will be able to tell you what programs you may be eligible for based on your answers on above criteria. After the IRCC has determined your eligibility for the prospective programs, you are examined by the Comprehensive Ranking System. The Comprehensive Ranking System ranks a variety of factors that demonstrate a foreign national’s work capability to be a competitive and valuable contribution to the Canadian economy. The higher your score, the better chance you have to be invited to apply for permanent residency in Canada.

The Comprehensive Ranking System assess the following (but not limited to):

  • Work experience
  • Language abilities
  • Education
  • Valid job offer
  • Nomination from a Province or Territory


Provincial Nominee Program

You may be eligible for the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) as a foreign student with or without work experience. The Provincial Nominee Program allows provinces and territories to nominate individuals with the desired skills and qualities to apply for permanent residency. The main purpose of the PNP is to allow provinces to have more control over the services and employment sectors in their region.


Akrami and Associates

Hiring international students requires both the employer and the employee to meet certain edibility criteria. These requirements can be confusing. As a result of this, it is highly recommended to seek the assistance of a reputable immigration legal representative. At Akrami and Associates, our legal team has assisted hundreds of International Students and Canadian employers in submitting successful applications. Contact us today to discuss 416-477-2545 or info@thevisa.ca

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • October 3, 2023

    Understanding the Validity of Post-Graduation Work Permits

      Embarking on a journey of higher education is not merely about acquiring knowledge; it's also an investment in one's future. For international students in Canada, this investment often comes with the added benefit of being eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This permit serves as a [...]

  • October 2, 2023

    Credential assessment in Canada: how Akrami & Associates can assist you

      Embarking on a journey to Canada, whether as a skilled worker, student, or professional, is a significant milestone in one's life. The allure of this vast and diverse country, known for its quality of life, educational institutions, and career opportunities, has drawn people from all corners of [...]

  • September 25, 2023

    Canada’s demand for Skilled Workers: the new Express Entry priorities

    As businesses across the country actively seek to fill numerous job vacancies, immigration has become a pivotal solution to address this issue. Recognizing this reality, the Canadian government is actively developing an immigration system designed to act as an economic engine. This strategic approach not only strengthens French-speaking [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way