How can I get a Study Permit for Canada as an International Student

CanadianStudy Permit for International students

According to statistics, the number of international students in Canada is well over 300,000, a figure that is constantly growing. The individuals who want to study in Canada or enhance their credentials as a professional prefer to come and study in Canada. For them to be able to study they require a study permit which enables them to certain benefits along with study opportunities in Canada.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada issues a document called study permit allows a foreign individual to study in Canada for a specific amount of time. Most international students require a Study Permit to study in Canada.

How to obtain a study permit for Canada

What you have to do to obtain a study permit is mentioned below step by step:

  • If you are a student, then you must decide what kind of program you would like to pursue, and figure out what institution is the best according to your field of study in Canada
  • You can apply to one or more institutions for your program of study, then after that you have to figure out what you must do to get admission
  • Once admission to one or more institutions have been obtained, you can begin the process to apply for a study permit and, if necessary, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) along with it. A TRV may be required if you are a citizen of a country from which Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) requires TRVs for the purposes of entry into Canada. This is a requirement that is not needed for citizens of visa exempt countries
  • When applying for a study permit, you may be required to undergo medical examinations and provide your police clearance certificates
  • If you wish to study in Montreal or another city in the Province of Quebec, you will also be required an approval from immigration authorities from the Government of Quebec

Arrival in Canada

After you arrive in Canada, if you want to work and study you must maintain your study permit and work authorization:

  • Students may need to renew or change the study permit during the course of their studies, after obtaining a study permit
  • You may be eligible to work while studying in Canada depending on your program of studies
  • After graduation, many graduate students choose to stay in Canada to either live or work or both
  • Many graduates are eligible to obtain their post-graduation work permit to facilitate their stay in Canada
  • A post-graduation work permit may also help facilitate an application of an applicant for Canadian Permanent Residency, either through the Canadian Experience Class or Quebec Experience Class

Advantages of Studying in Canada

There are many advantages of studying in Canada. Canadian system offers perks and privileges to those who have prospects to study in Canada and use their knowledge and skills that they acquired from Canadian institution in Canada rather than elsewhere. Some of the benefits are listed below:

  • Ability to work without a work permit in certain circumstances
  • Ability to obtain Post-grad Work Permit depending on their course of study
  • Possibility of extending work permit through a LMIA
  • Ability to qualify for Permanent residency

Can you spouse or common law partner get a work permit while you study?

Yes, your spouse or common law partner can get a work permit while you study in Canada. The conditions to getting work permit for your partner are listed below:

  • If you are a full-time student at a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
  • If you are enrolled in a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or
  • If you are a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
  • If you have a valid study permit

Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study permit in Canada.

Note: Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for an open work permit, which means they do not need a job offer or a labour market opinion (LMIA) from Service Canada.

Renewing your study permit and restoring your status

Renewing you study permit is also a possibility while you study in Canada. If you want to extend your study permit and stay in Canada as a student, you must complete the application to change conditions or apply to extend your stay in Canada. You will have to check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure that you apply before that date. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days prior to the expiry of your current permit.

You may apply to restore your status as a student within 90 days of losing your status. You may only apply if you continue to meet the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in Canada and you if you have met all the conditions imposed on your permit. After applying for restoration of your status, you may stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application. However, you are not allowed to study or continue your education until your status has been restored. There is no guarantee when it comes to acceptance of your application. On your application, you must provide all the details of the facts and circumstances that caused you to lose your status.

There is a fee for renewing your study permit, as well as a fee for restoring your status. The fee is required for each family member who has lost status. To find out about application fees, go to Pay My Application Fees on

An immigration official will evaluate your application for restoration of status and will process your application for a study permit. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will advise you of any further action have to be taken during the process.

Student Work Permit

There are different categories of student work permit that enables students to work and study at the same time. There is a list of five categories below:

  • Work on Campus
  • Work Off Campus
  • Work as a co-op student or Intern
  • Work after graduation

We will discuss these categories one by one.

Work on Campus

This category enables you to work without a work permit on campus if:

  • you are a full time student at your institution of studies
  • you have a valid study permit

Work off Campus

Study permit holders in Canada can gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies at the same time. You may qualify to work off campus without a work permit under certain conditions. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

  • work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions
  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break

To qualify, you must for this off campus work permit you must:

  • have a valid study permit
  • be a full-time student at your given institution
  • be a student at an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate which has to be at least six months in duration

Work as a co-op student or Intern:

To be eligible for a work permit under this category, you must meet the following requirements below:

  • A valid study permit
  • Your intended employment has be an important part of your program of study in Canada
  • Your employment must be part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by designated learning institution and certified by a letter
  • If your co-op or internship employment cannot be more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study

Work after Graduation:

A work permit under the Post-Graduation Work permit may be issued exactly for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit is not supposed to be valid for longer than the student’s study program. However, the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if a student graduated from a four-year degree program, he/she could be eligible for a three-year work permit if they meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit exactly the same period of your study permit that is valid for no more than eight months.

The PGWPP allows graduated students to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry.

Contact Akrami & Associates

If you want to study in Canada and want to go through the process without any hassle, please do consider Akrami & Associates for all your legal needs. Our team of dedicated consultants and lawyers will take good care of you by presenting the best possible case for you and your loved ones. With Akrami & Associates there is always a way.

Latest Immigrations News

  • January 4, 2021

    Extending your stay in Canada

    About Extending your stay in Canada You crossed all your T’s and dotted all your I’s. You’re in Canada and are looking for ways to extend your stay. Continue reading below for ways to do so. When you first enter Canada as a visitor, you’re required to have [...]

  • 5-FAQ-on-Study-Permits.jpg

    September 14, 2020

    5 FAQ on Study Permits

    Am I eligible for a study permit? Before applying for a study permit, students must ensure they meet the eligibility requirements and possess the required documentation. To apply for a Canadian study permit, students must be able to demonstrate the following: Letter of Acceptance Student must provide a [...]

  • Study_Permit_Canada_And_Covid-19.jpg

    July 17, 2020

    Overseas Study Permit Applications and COVID-19

    Overseas Canadian Study Permit & COVID-19 Do you have a valid study permit issued to you by Citizenship and Immigration Canada? Are you currently outside of Canada? If you are outside of Canada and have an approved valid study permit it is important to know that the federal [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way