Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Applying for a Super Visa

Applying for a Super Visa

Family Time is Precious

Your daughter just gave birth to your grandchild in Toronto. You check your email to see photos of your grandchild every day. However, seeing photos of your grandchild’s chubby face cannot satisfy your desire to see your grandchild in person. Most importantly, your daughter misses you and invites you to explore the beauty of Canada. You want to go to Canada and to help take care of your grandchild. If you are a grandparent or a parent of a Canadian citizen or a Canadian permanent resident, and you want to stay in Canada for more than six months without becoming a permanent resident of Canada, you will need to obtain a super visa. Throughout this article, we will introduce you the purpose of a super visa and how you can obtain one to spend quality time with your children and grandchildren in Canada.

What is a Super Visa

A super visa is a temporary, multi-entry permit that allows parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to stay for up to two years in Canada. It is valid up to ten years. That being said, a super visa holder has the ability to leave and re-enter Canada for ten years.

Super Visa vs. Multi-Entry Visa

When you visit your children or grandchildren in Canada, the usual six-month stay may not be enough for you to spend with your family. A super visa allows you to visit your children or grandchildren in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew your status. A 10-year multi-entry visa can only allow you to stay in Canada for up to six months per visit.

Who can Apply for a Super Visa

For many parents and grandparents who are living in a separate country, a super visa is very useful due to its long period of validity and the long duration of stay it provides per visit. Unfortunately, simply being parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents does not automatically grant you eligibility. You will need to meet the following criteria to apply for a super visa:

  • You are a parent or a grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a Canadian permanent resident.
  • You must be allowed to enter Canada
  • You have taken an immigration medical exam. You will need to include a proof (issued by the doctor) of your medical exam.
  • You have a signed letter from the child or the grandchild who invites you to Canada. The signed letter will state a promise of financial support for the duration of your visit, a list and number of people in the household of your child or grandchild, and a copy of your child or grandchild’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document.
  • You have medical insurance from a Canadian company that has at least $100000 coverage. The insurance needs to be valid for at least a year from the date of entry. You will also need to prove that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes are not accepted)

What Factors can Influence a Visa Officer’s Decision

A visa officer will need to be convinced, that the applicant is a genuine visitor who will leave by choice at the end of the visit. That being said, an applicant must let the visa officer know the purpose of the visit. An applicant will also need to prove his or her tie to the home country, and does not have the intention to overstay in Canada. The logic behind this is that people with stronger ties to their home country are more likely to leave Canada after their visas expire. If you cannot prove you do not have the intention to stay in Canada permanently, your application will not be successful. On the other hand, for national security reasons, a visa officer will also look at the overall economic and political stability of the applicant’s home country. The Canadian government is very strict in terms of issuing visas and, therefore, having a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild is not enough. Your child or grandchild must have the ability to financially support you for the entire duration of your stay. In other words, the person inviting you must meet the minimum of low-income-cut-off (LICO).

What is LICO

The Canadian government needs to ensure you will be financially supported by your children or grandchildren for your stay in Canada. As a result, it is important for your inviter to properly meet the LICO requirement. The following chart is taken from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website and is effective from January 1 to December 31, 2018.

Size of Family Unit

Minimum necessary income

1 person (your child or grandchild)


2 persons


3 persons


4 persons


5 persons


6 persons


7 persons


More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $6,723

Contact Akrami and Associates

Families deserve to spend quality time together. Nevertheless, Canadian immigration laws have certain requirements for applicants in order to protect the country. Filling applications and preparing for the correct documents can be confusing and, sometimes, overwhelming. In addition, the criteria set by the Canadian government is very strict. Your application can be denied if any vital information is missed or overlooked. Therefore, it is important to have your questions answered by immigration professionals. Talking to experienced immigration professionals not only will ease your concerns about the Canadian immigration progress, but also will allow you to gain more understanding of your own case. Most importantly, immigration professionals have profound knowledge of Canada’s immigration system that can aid the success of your case. Akrami and Associates is an experienced immigration law firm that works with different immigration cases professionally and efficiently. Our goal is to help you enter Canada and reunite with your family. If you still have questions regarding how to apply for a super visa or feel unclear about any aspects of a super visa, please feel free to contact Akrami and Associates at 416-477-2545 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to book a consultation with an immigration expert for further assistance.

What is a Conjugal Sponsorship
Labor Market Impact Assessments

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here