Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Comparing Super Visa and Temporary Resident Visa

Comparing Super Visa and Temporary Resident Visa

What Type of Visa Will I Need to Come to Canada

Do you plan to visit Canada in the future? If you do, it is important for you to understand that the things you’ll need to do to prepare, depend entirely on your specific circumstances. For example, it will matter whether you are travelling from a visa-exempt, or a non-visa exempt country. It will also matter what you intend to do while you’re in Canada, and how long you wish to stay. In this article, we will discuss different processes individuals who would like to visit Canada most commonly go through.


A temporary resident visa (TRV) is often also referred to as a visitor’s visa. A temporary resident visa is needed for any individual who comes from a non-visa exempt country and would like to visit Canada. A temporary resident visa will generally allow you to stay in the country for a 6 month period maximum. It is very important to review your approved temporary resident visa carefully, to ensure you understand exactly how long it permits you to stay in Canada. Also, a temporary resident visa only allows you to enter the country once, and then stay for up to 6 months. You are not permitted to leave and re-enter the country, unless you apply for and receive an approved multiple entry visa.

If you come from a visa-exempt country, and only want to enter the country for 6 months or less, you do not need to apply for a temporary resident visa to do so. Rather, you will most likely need an approved electronic travel authorization to be permitted to enter the country.


A super visa, also known as a parents or grandparents super visa, is a multi-entry permit that allows parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to stay for up to two years in Canada. It is valid up to ten years. That being said, a super visa holder has the ability to leave and re-enter Canada for ten years. If you come from a visa-exempt country, but wish to stay for longer than 6 months to visit your child or grandchild, you must apply for a super visa to be permitted to reside in Canada longer than 6 months.

The fact that a super visa allows you to remain in the country for up to 2 years from the time you enter is the most important difference between a super visa and a temporary resident visa or a multiple entry visa.


For many parents and grandparents who are living in a separate country, a super visa is very useful due to its long period of validity and the long duration of stay it provides per visit. Unfortunately, simply being parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents does not automatically grant you eligibility. You will need to meet the following criteria to apply for a super visa:

· You are a parent or a grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a Canadian permanent resident.

· You must be allowed to enter Canada

· You have taken an immigration medical exam. You will need to include a proof (issued by the doctor) of your medical exam.

· You have a signed letter from the child or the grandchild who invites you to Canada. The signed letter will state a promise of financial support for the duration of your visit, a list and number of people in the household of your child or grandchild, and a copy of your child or grandchild’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document.

· You have medical insurance from a Canadian company that has at least $100000 coverage. The insurance needs to be valid for at least a year from the date of entry. You will also need to prove that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes are not accepted).


There are other requirements you must meet if you are applying for a super visa. Applications for a temporary resident visa generally are not subject to the same requirements. For example, if you are applying for a super visa, you must have a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild, stating they are going to be your host while you are in Canada. This letter of invitation must state that the host is going to be financially responsible for you while you are in Canada. At the same time, the host must provide proof that they meet the low income cut-off (LICO) threshold which applies to them, depending on how many individuals live in their home. To apply for a visitor's visa, there is no LICO threshold you must meet. Rather, it must be clear in your application that you are financially equipped to pay for your visit to Canada and pay for your return home as well.

Also, as applicants for a super visa you will need to retain private medical insurance to cover your health issues, should any arise while you are in Canada. Your private medical insurance must cover a minimum of $100’000 in medical expenses, and be valid for at least 1 year from the time you arrive in Canada.

Finally, to apply for a super visa, you are subject to all the requirements any individual is when seeking entry into Canada. In other words, you are also subject to all the requirements as individuals applying for a temporary resident visa. For example, this means an immigration officer must believe you intend to leave at the end of your stay, as you have only requested access to Canada for a specific period of time, whether you are applying for a super visa or a temporary resident visa. You should do this by showing you have strong ties to your home country regardless of what type of visa you are applying for.


Families deserve to spend quality time together. Nevertheless, Canadian immigration laws have certain requirements for applicants in order to protect the country. Filling applications and preparing for the correct documents can be confusing and, sometimes, overwhelming. In addition, the criteria set by the Canadian government are very strict. Your application can be denied if any vital information is missed or overlooked. Therefore, it is important to have your questions answered by immigration professionals. Talking to experienced immigration professionals not only will ease your concerns about the Canadian immigration progress, but also will allow you to gain more understanding of your own case. Most importantly, immigration professionals have profound knowledge of Canada’s immigration system that can aid the success of your case. Akrami and Associates is an experienced immigration law firm that works with different immigration cases professionally and efficiently. Our goal is to help you enter Canada and reunite with your family. If you still have questions regarding how to apply for a super visa or a visitor’s visa, please feel free to contact Akrami and Associates at 416-477-2545 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to book a consultation with an immigration expert for further assistance.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Preparing for a Visitor Visa Application
Understanding the Provincial Nominee Program

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here