Electronic-Travel-Authorization-eTA Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Are you from a country that does not require a visa to enter Canada? Have you previous tried to apply for an eTA but were not approved? Continue reading below for information on the electronic travel authorization.

What is an Electronic Travel Authorization?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

An eTA doesn’t guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents – for example, a U.S. Green Card. You must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada.

With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time). You do not need an eTA for travel within Canada.

Who needs an eTA?

The following travellers need an  Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to board their flight to Canada. However, these travellers do not need an eTA if entering by land or sea – for instance driving from the U.S. or coming by bus, train, or boat, including cruise ship.

How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?

Only apply for an eTA on the official Government of Canada website.

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes to complete. Within minutes most applicants will receive their approval email. However, some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.


An eTA costs CAD $7.

To complete the form, you will need your passport, a credit or debit card, and an email address. You must also answer a few questions.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Electronic Transfer Authorizations may be straightforward applications but for some applicants with inadmissibility issues, it may require a professional with experience and qualifications to help in the process. At Akrami & Associates, we have helped many clients with these types of applications and we can also help you. If you need help applying for an eTA to travel to Canada as a visitor, you can contact our office at 416-477-2545 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

With Akrami & Associates there is always a way!!