Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Extending your stay in Canada


About Extending your stay in Canada

You crossed all your T’s and dotted all your I’s. You’re in Canada and are looking for ways to extend your stay. Continue reading below for ways to do so.

When you first enter Canada as a visitor, you’re required to have documents. These can include:

  • Visitor visa ( also known as temporary resident visa)
  • Valid passport or travel document
  • An electronic travel authorization (eTA)

If you want/need to extend your stay as a visitor in Canada, you need to apply for a visitor record. (please note a visitor record in not a visa)

What is a visitor record?

A visitor record is a document that gives you status as a visitor and allows you to stay longer. It includes a new expiry date (the extended date that you must leave Canada by)

Who is eligible to apply for a visitor record?

You are eligible to apply for a visitor record if you:

  • Want to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor
  • Want to change your permit type from study permit to a work permit
  • Want to change your work permit to a study permit

Important Note:

It does not matter what document you used to enter Canada originally ( visitor visa, eTA, study permit etc), if you want to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor, you must apply for a visitor record.

When do I need to apply for the visitor record?

You must apply at least 30 days before your current status expires.


I have a visitor record. Can I leave and return to Canada with it?

The visitor record gives you status and extends your stay. It does not guarantee that you can leave and re-enter. If you are planning on travel outside of Canada and returning, you need a valid entry document. Examples- visitor visa, eTA. You must also meet all entry requirements.

How do I apply for a visitor record?

In most cases, you apply online. Applying online is beneficial because Immigration Canada will receive your application instantly, will get processed more quickly and you can get updates on the status of your application directly through your account.

If you cannot apply online, there is a paper application available.

What if your status expires before a decision has been made on your extension?

If you applied for a visitor record before the original expiry date, you can still legally remain in Canada until the decision has been made. This is implied status.

Akrami and Associates

The application process for a visitor record can be difficult due the amount of steps and numerous forms. It is also difficult to prove that one will indeed leave Canada on or before the expiry date of their travel documents. Having trained professionals assist with the application process can ensure greater chances of success. Here at Akrami and Associates we have helped hundreds of clients extend their stays in Canada. If you have any questions or are ready to get the application process started. Contact us today at 416-477-2545 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

With Akrami and Associates, there's always a way!

Reasons for Inadmissibility to Canada apart from C...
All About Family Class Sponsorship

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here