Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

How can I invite my Parents or GrandParents to Canada

How can I invite my Parents or GrandParents to Canada

Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents

Have you ever wanted your parents to be with you in Canada? Did you ever think that it would have been better if your kids could also grow up under your parents just as you did when you were growing up? Do you want help of your parents in Canada to help take care of your kids and give your parents the opportunity to spend some time with their grandkids? Everybody wants their loved ones to stay close to them, especially when it comes to their parents or grandparents. No relationship gives you more strength and support to your family as your parents or grandparents do.

Canadian system of immigration gives you an opportunity to sponsor your parents and make your family whole again. There are new rules that have been introduced in Canada to avoid a long and lengthy process to bring your parents to Canada through sponsorship. There is a new category in regards to parental sponsorship called “super visa”. The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa is a temporary resident visa that allows parents and grandparents to stay in Canada for up to 2 years each visit. Canadian super visa is valid for up to 10 years in total. This visa allows the parents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to come to Canada for 2 years in a row without having to renew their status.

Who is eligible to apply for the Super Visa?

There are requirements that have to be met before the parents could be allowed entry in Canada. Number one requirement is that the parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent resident cannot be inadmissible to Canada. Inadmissibility is measured on the grounds of health and security. The Canadian government has to be sure that the visitor coming to Canada is not a security risk for the Canadians and neither a burden on their health care system. It is also very important to know that any dependents in the family cannot be included on this application. This application is only specific to the needs of parents or grandparents reunion with their loved ones in Canada. Only parents or grandparents together with their spouses or common-law partners can travel to Canada, if they are approved in their application of super visa. Moreover, you can apply for sponsorship of your parents simultaneously with super visa. Dependants on your application are not allowed on super visa application. Dependents who would like to accompany you to Canada can apply for a TRV separately.

Ease for Applicants who need TRV to travel

The super visa enables a citizen from a non-visa exempt country to travel to Canada. It gives the traveller the easy of multiple entries since the super visa is valid for ten years and allows entry for two years per entry.

The application process is more or less the same as it is for a regular TRV. However, more documents are required to make sure that the parents and grandparents are going to be well supported throughout their time in Canada. The documents that are required are listed bellows:

  • First and foremost a letter of invitation from the child or grandchild resident of Canada
  • Documents to prove the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) minimum from child or grandchild
  • Proof of parental relationship to the invitee, such as a birth certificate as a parent etc.
  • Proof of medical insurance covered for the period of at least one year with a Canadian insurance company

Factors consider when submitting a Super Visa application:

The complete application is assessed in accordance with a number of factors. Immigration officials consider these factors in the application and make their decision on it. The factors included are written below:

  • ties to your home country
  • purpose of your visit
  • your family and finances
  • economic and political stability of your home country
  • invitation from child or grandchild

There are documents that are also needed on part of parents or grandparents of the child. These are the documents below:

  • a minimum income threshold, to prove that your child or grandchild in Canada meets the requirement
  • written statement from the child or grandchild that he or she will provide you financial support,
  • valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for the period of at least one year and
  • an immigration medical exam

Also, all applicants are required to go through a medical examination. After the application has been submitted the forms and instructions for their medical examination will be issued by the visa office. The application is processed at the Canadian visa office responsible for the application as well as applicant’s place of residence outside of Canada. Additional documentation may be required, depending on the country of the visa office.

Following all these rules on your application is not a guarantee that the application will be approved. The approval of your application is possible based on these requirements but cannot be a guarantee as everything depends on the investigation of the immigration officials working on your file.

Low Income Cut Off Chart:

Some people do not understand the meaning of the abbreviation LICO. They do not know how and when their income comes into play in regards to their application. The table for minimum necessary income is listed below to demonstrate how much it costs to have one person sponsored or invited over to Canada:

Size of Family Unit Minimum necessary income

1 person  $22,229

2 persons $27,674

3 persons $34,022

4 persons $41,307

5 persons $46,850

6 persons $52,838

7 persons $58,827

More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $5,989

Difference between super visa and visitor visa:

Most visitors to Canada may only consider visiting Canada for up to six months whenever they first enter Canada. However, with the parent and grandparent super visa, parents who are eligible can visit family in Canada for up to two years in total without the need to renew their status again. The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries up to 10 years. The main difference is that the Super Visa allows a foreign national to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada, while a multiple entry visa is valid for 10 years and would only have a status period of six months for each entry.

Extension of your stay:

If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must keep yourself up to date to make sure to make sure you can apply before the expiry date. If you apply to extend your permit, and at the same time if your visitor visa expires while you are waiting for a decision on your file, you will still have temporary resident visitor status. This status is normally known and called as implied status. Most visitors to Canada are not allowed to work or study in Canada without a permit.

Contact Akrami & Associates:

If you want to bring your parents or grandparents to Canada via super visa and you want your application to be done efficiently, please do consider Akrami & Associates for all your legal needs. Our team of dedicated consultants and lawyers will take good care of you by presenting the best possible case for you and your loved ones.

With Akrami & Associates there is always a way.

How can I Work in Canada as a Foreign Worker
How can I get a Study Permit for Canada as an Inte...

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here