Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

How do I obtain a study permit for Canada?

How do I obtain a study permit for Canada?

If you are interested in studying in Canada, you have to know whether you are eligible for study permit or not. If you are eligible to study in Canada, you have to aware how you can obtain a study permit. In order to obtain a study permit, you have to have the following:

  • Proof of Acceptance
  • Proof of Identity
  • Proof of Financial Support
  • Letter of Explanation

Proof of Acceptance:

If you want to come to Canada as a student, you need an acceptance letter from that college, school, and university where you are planning to study. Once you have received acceptance letter, you have to submit that original letter with your study permit application.

Proof of Identity:

For proof of identity you need to have two documents: one is travelling document that is your valid passport and your family member’s passport that is coming with you and you can travel back to your home country with that passport.

The second thing you need to provide that is your two recent passport-size photos and your family member who is coming to Canada with you. Your name and date of birth should be written on the back of the photos.

Proof of Financial Support:

  • You need to provide a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred
  • Proof of a student/education loan from financial institution
  • Your bank statement for last your months
  • Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
  • Letter from your person or institution providing you with money
  • Proof of funding paid from Canada if you have received scholarship or Canadian-funded educational program

Letter of Explanation:

In the letter of explanation, you need to explain that why are you apply for study permit even though you do not need one. So you have to explain and satisfy that why you want to obtain study permit at that time. There are few benefits for obtaining study permit and those are you can work part-time on the campus and you can renew you study permit as well once it has expired.

However, there are few exceptions when you do not need a study permit and those are following:

  • You do not need a study permit when your program course is six months long or less than six months. You have to complete your program within that period
  • If you are family member or staff member of a Foreign Representative to Canada accredited by department of foreign affairs, then you may not need a study permit to study in Canada
  • If you are member of foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need study permit. However, if you are family member of foreign armed forces, you have to meet the requirements of study permit
  • If you are citizen of another country who has registered Indian Status in Canada then you do not need study permit.

If you are applying for study permit from Quebec, then you need extra document and that is certificate of acceptance. You can apply online to obtain certificate of acceptance. Once you have received certificate of acceptance you can apply for study permit with Citizenship and Immigration of Canada (CIC).

If you have a further question about how to obtain study permit or what documents you need to obtain a study permit, give us call. We will happy to provide you information what you want to know.

Can an individual work while studying in Canada?
Requirements Applying for Permanent Residence unde...

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here