Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

How to Renew my Expired PR Card

How to Renew my Expired PR Card

Eligibility to Renew PR Card

Has your permanent card expired? Will it soon expire? Are you travelling outside of Canada and your card is going to expire? Not to worry, this blog will answer all of your questions regarding the process of renewing a permanent residency card.

What is permanent residency in Canada

Permanent residency refers to the status that has been given to individuals who have immigrated to Canada and are to stay permanently. Nonetheless, they are not Canadian citizens, but citizens of other countries. Permanent residents are given most of the same benefits and privileges that Canadian citizens are, these include:

  • The ability to have social benefits such as health care coverage

  • The ability to study, live or work anywhere they desire in Canada

  • The ability to apply for citizenship once they become eligible

  • The same protection that Canadian citizens receive under law, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

It is important to notice, however, that permanent residency holders are not allowed to vote, run for political positions, or hold some jobs that require a high level of security clearance.

How do I maintain my permanent resident status in Canada

In order to maintain your permanent residency, it is important that you are aware of certain limitations that might cause you to lose your status. These are as follows:

  • You must live 2 out of 5 years in Canada (730 days, with your time outside Canada not exceeding 1,095 days)

  • You must not renounce to your permanent resident status

  • You must not receive a removal order

  • You must not receive judicial sentence that states that you are no longer a permanent resident

Another way to lose your permanent resident status is by becoming a Canadian citizen, in which case you would not need this status any longer.

If my card has expired, am I still a Canadian permanent resident?

Yes. Even if your permanent residency card has expired, your status has not. This just means that you are to renew your card as soon as possible.

How do I renew my permanent residency card?

In order to renew your PR Card, there are a few steps and requirements that you must follow, as stated below, you must:

  • Have valid permanent resident status

  • Be in Canada during the process

  • Have lived at least 730 days in Canada during the past five years

  • Provide a copy of your old permanent residence card

  • Fill out all required forms

  • Include a copy of a valid travel document (such as a passport)

  • Pay the application fee (which is $50), and include a copy of the receipt

  • Provide two photos that follow certain specifications set

  • Provide any other documents that might be asked from you (such as a birth certificate or documents supporting a legal name change)

Once you have gathered all the documents, filled out all forms and signed them, you can mail your application to the correct processing office in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Why do I need a permanent resident card?

A permanent residency card confirms your status as a permanent resident in Canada. Furthermore, in case you are to travel anywhere outside of Canada, upon your return, your permanent residence card is what will grant you entrance back into the country. This is the case if you are to travel back to Canada through any commercial vehicle, including but not limited to planes, boats and trains.

What happens if my permanent residence card expires while I am out of the country?

If your permanent residence card expires while you are outside of Canada, do not worry. The next step would be to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. This will be the only document that will guarantee you entrance back into Canada. However, you cannot apply for this document in Canada if you know that your permanent resident card will expire while you are outside of Canada, this document can only be applied for if you are not within Canada.

What happens after I apply to renew my permanent residence card?

After you renew your permanent residency card, it is important that you keep in mind that even though this is a relatively short process, it can still take its time. When the Canadian government has received your application in full, including pictures and supporting documents, your application will start to be processed. If your application has been approved, you will either receive a permanent residence card to the mailing address you have put in your application, or you will receive a letter that explains how and where to pick up your new permanent residence card. It is important to pick it up as soon as possible after you have received all information on how to do so, as the Government of Canada will only hold onto it for 180 days before destroying it.

What do I do with my old permanent resident card once I receive a new one?

Once you have received a new permanent resident card, it is important that you destroy your old permanent resident card by cutting it in half or through other methods. You must destroy your old permanent resident card even if it has a previous name on it, it is expired, or it is damaged.

Contact Akrami and Associates

Living in Canada is a privilege that many individuals wish to have. Obtaining permanent residency is not an easy process, and after all of that hard work, you do not want to throw it down the drain. Nonetheless, the process to renew your permanent residency card can be confusing and complicated because of all of the requirements and forms that are to be sent in with your application. With the help of Akrami and Associates, this is a load that can be taken off your back, as you are putting your immigration matter in great hands.

At Akrami and Associates, we pride ourselves in having countless experience with all immigration matters. Our representatives achieve constant success, and you can be sure that your application will be handled wisely and professionally. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at (416) 477-2545, or at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to book a consultation.

With Akrami and Associates, there is always a way.

Business Visitors to Canada
Sponsoring Spouse to Canada

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here