Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Information About Transit Visa's

Information About Transit Visa's

Do You Have a Flight Connecting Through Canada?

If so, you may need a transit visa, to avoid many unnecessary delays during your stopover. Essentially, you may need a transit visa simply to be in a Canadian airport for a short period of time, to then board your second flight. In this article, I will work to help you understand what a transit visa is, who needs to apply for a transit visa, and how to go about applying.

What is a Transit Visa? Who Needs One?

Well, it is essentially all that I have already explained; a visa which allows you to take a flight, which connects to another flight, through a Canadian airport. It is also a visa which allows you to even be on a plane, which is stopping at a Canadian airport before continuing. If you are from a non-visa exempt country, you are not permitted to do these things without having a valid transit visa. If you are from a visa-exempt country, you can do this simply with a valid eTA, and do not need to apply for a transit visa.

What are the Requirements for a Transit Visa?

There are a variety of basic requirements individuals must meet, to be eligible for a transit visa. You must show in your application that you:

  • have a valid travel document, like a passport
  • are in good health
  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
  • have proof that you can enter your destination country and any other country on your trip
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country
  • convince an immigration officer that you won’t stay in Canada
  • have enough money for your trip

Please note, a medical exam and police certificates may be requested of you to process your application.

What is the Transit without Visa Program?

The Transit without Visa program (TWOV) allows certain foreign nationals to transit through Canada on their way to and from the United States without a Canadian transit visa, if they meet certain requirements. There are very specific requirements depending on your specific situation, so, it is important to research the TWOV program requirements before attempting to transit through Canada without a transit visa.

How Do I Apply for a Transit Visa?

You can apply for a transit visa by filling out the application for a Temporary Resident Visa and selecting transit visa from the list of options on the form. You can apply either online, or, on paper, and submit the application to the nearest visa application center. There is no fee for a transit visa.

What do I Expect When I Arrive in Canada?

You will be greeted by a Canadian Border Services Agent (CBSA), who will ask questions to verify you are an individual who should be permitted to travel through Canada. It is the CBSA officer’s job to protect Canada’s borders, and ensure no one who will cause trouble for the country, enters the country. This means, regardless of the documentation you show up with at the border, the officer will still ask you questions to ensure you came upon these documents legally, and you do not have alternative intentions once you enter Canada. It is important to be calm and well prepared when you arrive at the border, because the CBSA officer will purposefully ask difficult questions, to ensure you are being genuine with your answers. The CBSA officer has complete authority to deny you entry at the border, because it is their job to ensure individuals have represented themselves truthfully in their applications. So, the most important thing is to be prepared at the border.

Contact Akrami & Associates

If you want to travel to an international location, or to the United States, and are taking a flight which will either connect or make a stop in Canada, you may need a transit visa. If this is the case, it is important to take all of the aforementioned information into consideration before applying, to ensure you are not eligible for the Transit Without Visa Program. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients enter Canada for transit smoothly. If you believe that you may need a transit visa, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Work Permits under the Temporary Foreign Worker Pr...
Help With Removal Orders

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here