Giovanni Blog

Giovanni Blog about Canadian Immigration matters.

Super Visa

Super Visa

On December 1, 2011, the Canadian governments introduced new category of temporary resident which is called Super Visa. The Super Visa is only for parents or grandparents not for any other temporary residents like visitors, students, and workers.

Canadian citizens or permanent residents can bring their parents or grandparents under this new category Super Visa. The Super Visa is valid for 10 years but they have to renew every two years. If your parents or grandparents leave Canada and wants to come back, they can come back because their visa allows them to re-entre Canada for ten years.

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, then your parents or grandparents are eligible for a Super Visa provided you meet the financial requirements and they are not inadmissible on the grounds of health or security.

You cannot include any dependent in this application, only your parents or grandparents and their spouse or common- law partner can apply for the Super Visa.

The Super Visa is specifically for parents or grandparents who are living in visa exempt country which means they need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to entre in Canada.

The process is very similar to submitting for a normal visitor visa but you will need to provide additional documents which proves that you will support your parents or grandparents for the time they live in Canada. The documents you need to provide are:

  • a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild who lives in Canada
  • a document that proves the child or grandchild meets the low income cut-off (LICO) minimum.
  • Proof of relationship with your child or grandchild like birth certificate that names them as a parents
  • Proof of medical insurance coverage for one year with Canadian insurance company
  • Once you have submitted your complete application with all supporting documents then you application will be assessed by a visa officer considering various factors such as:
  • What is your purpose to come or visit to Canada?
  • Whether you will maintain sufficient ties with your home country
  • Visa officer also wants to know about family ties, finances, and other connection that lie outside of Canada

If you wish to invite your parents or grandparents on the Super Visa, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to discuss your qualifications as well as how to compile an application with the highest chance for success.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Steps to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa
How Do I Submit My Application?

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here