Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Visitor Visas Questions and Answers

Visitor Visas Questions and Answers

Questions and Answers for Visitor Visas

In this article, I will address questions and answers for Visitor Visas. This is intended for you to better understand what can ensue when you are in the process of applying for a Visitor Visa to Canada. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for a Visitor Visa, then I suggest you read our article on “How to Apply for a Visitor Visa to Canada” before reading this question and answer article. This article is intended to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to any immigration matters regarding Visitor Visas.

Q: Does everyone that would like to visit Canada require a Visitor Visa?

A: No, not everyone that would like to visit Canada requires a Visitor Visa. Depending on which country you are coming to Canada from, this will determine whether you need a Visitor Visa or not. If you come from a visa-exempt country, you will not need a Visitor Visa to enter Canada. In contrast, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter Canada. For individuals that come from a country that is not visa-exempt, they will require a Visitor Visa prior to travelling to Canada. Keep in mind, you will need to receive your eTA, or your Visitor Visa, prior to travelling and entering Canada.

Q: What happens if my Visitor Visa application is refused? Am I allowed to re-apply or appeal the decision?

Q: For Visitor Visas, there is no formal appeal process; however, you are definitely allowed to re-apply. When reapplying, you must ensure that the refusal reasons that the Immigration officer has addressed are handled and are corrected. You must prove and provide sufficient evidence that your circumstance has changed based on the refusal reasons and you may provide new information to support these claims. This is very important when reapplying for a Visitor Visa.

Q: Is it possible for me to help a friend or family member obtain a Visitor Visa to Canada?

A: Yes, it is possible for you to help a friend or family member obtain a Visitor Visa to Canada. You may provide them with an invitation letter stating how you will help them during their visit to Canada. For instance, you may provide them with accommodations and the cost of their travels such as airfare. It is important to recognize that although a letter of invitation does help with the Visitor Visa application, it does not guarantee that the friend or family member will receive an approved Visitor Visa. The ultimate discretion on whether the Visitor Visa is approved or not is entirely in the hands of the Immigration officer assessing the application.

Q: What kind of documents do I need to submit with my Visitor Visa application?

A: The supporting documents and information that you provide to Immigration Canada can truly benefit your Visitor Visa application. For instance, in addition to accurately and properly completing your application forms and paying the government fees, you will also need to submit photos; evidence of sufficient financial support for your stay in Canada; a photocopy of your return ticket or your travel itinerary indicating your travel dates; and any other supporting documents showing your ties to your home country. When applying for a Visitor Visa, it is essential that you show you have ties and connections to your home country. What this shows to the Immigration officer is that you need to return back to your country of origin and will not intend on overstaying your authorized period of travel to Canada.

Q: Do I still need to apply for a Visitor Visa if I am a United States green card holder?

A: Fortunately, no. As a green card holder from the United States, you do not need to apply for a Visitor Visa to enter Canada. You may simply show your passport and your green card to any Canadian port of entry Immigration officer if you plan on travelling via land. However, if you plan on travelling via air, then you will also need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Q: Can I fill out one Visitor Visa application for my entire family if we are all travelling together?

A: Unfortunately, no. When applying for a Visitor Visa to travel and visit Canada, each family member must complete the designated forms. You must submit the appropriate forms, all signed by the appropriate applicant, from each family member that intends on travelling to Canada as the visas will be issued to each of the family members individually. Keep in mind, parents and/or guardians of children may help their children fill out the forms and must sign on their children’s behalf, if they are below the age of 18.

Q: How long will my Visitor Visa be valid for?

A: The length of validity for Visitor Visas is usually indicated on your passport. This can either be handwritten or stamped. However, if there is no indication of a validity period on your passport, then you will be authorized to travel and visit Canada for six months from the date you enter Canada.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about any immigration matters with regards to Visitor Visas, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, if you are unfamiliar, and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients visit Canada and successfully obtain Visitor Visas. If you believe that you may be eligible for a Visitor Visa, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

What is Dual Intent
Business Visitors Gain Easier Entry into Canada wi...

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here