Shabnam Akrami Blogs
Who Can Be Sponsored
If you would like to sponsor your family member or loved one, you can sponsor them under Family Sponsorship Class. If you are a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident, you may qualify. People who fall under the Family Class an can be sponsored are:
- Your spouse;
- Your conjugal or common-law partner;
- Your dependent child including adopted child as well;
- Your parents or grandparents; and
- Other relatives in unique situation.
If you intend on sponsoring, as the sponsor, you have certain obligation. In addition to meeting the basic requirements of Canadian status and age, you will also need to commit to the following conditions:
- You are expected to provide basic needs to the applicants such as food, clothing, and shelter;
- You have to support your relative financially and be financially responsible for them; and
- Repay any financial assistance from the government to the applicant, if necessary.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada has changed the definition of dependent child. The dependent child age has been reduced from 22 to 19.
Before, children were eligible for sponsorship regardless of age if they were financially supported by parents and full-time student but this exception no longer exists. If your child is above 19 then you cannot sponsor him or her under the family sponsorship class.
They may still be eligible to come to Canada on some other status or obtain Permanent Residence on their own merits but will not be issued Permanent Residence based on being included in your application.
If you are interested in sponsoring a loved one, allow us to help reunite you in Canada. Contact us for more details and we would be happy to discuss.