International Mobility Program LMIA Exempt Work Permits

Different types of Work Permit for Canada

There are different types of Work Permits available to come to Canada and depending on your specific situation/case, you may or may not need an Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to get this work permit. In this blog we will walk you through the International Mobility Program and determine if you are eligible.

What is an International Mobility Program?

LMIA-exempt work permits are now called International Mobility Program by the government. The Canadian government has undertaken bilateral and multilateral agreements with certain countries. This has facilitated the LMIA exemptions for foreign workers from these countries, in simple terms, if your country has such an agreement with the Canadian government, most likely you are exempt for applying for a Labour Market Impact Assessment. You still have to apply for a work permit regardless of an LMIA-exempt. This program is called the international mobility program and this was conducted for greater economic and cultural gains for Canada. The International Mobility Program consists of:

Let’s take a look at the Intra Company Transferees today

Under the Intra Company Transferee you do not need an LMIA as discussed before. Basically foreign businesses with a parent company, affiliate, branch or subsidiary in Canada is given the option to bring employees from their foreign companies to Canada to work in their Canadian branch. Keep in mind, the option is given to apply for a work permit under this category; the work permit has not been guaranteed. This means that employees must still apply for a work permit and be able to prove eligibility under this program, some individuals may even need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

There are 3 main things to keep in mind and also to prove if you want to apply for a work permit under the intra company transferee program.

Intra Company Transferee Proving Relationship between the Companies

In order to proof eligibility under this program you must be able to demonstrate a relationship between the foreign company and a company inside Canada. Meaning, the two or more companies either is a subsidiary, a branch, an affiliate or parent company. One way to do this is by showing business registry of the company or corporation. This is one of the most important and essential aspects of this kind of work permit.

Intra Company Transferee Work Experience

Individual applying for a work permit under the Intra Company Transferee must be able to prove a certain level of experience within the foreign company. He or she must be able to show at least one year of work experience in the last 3 years period. You can demonstrate this by showing pay stubs, employment contract, and employment references and so on. This is important to prove so that the immigration can determine whether or not you’re qualified to carry out the job in Canada.

What Occupation Qualifies for Intra Company Transferee Work Permit

This requirement is a bit more complex and might be confusing to some people. The Canadian immigration wants the experience of occupation of the individual applying for Intra Company Transferee Work Permit to fall under executive, senior managerial or specialized knowledge. In order to be eligible for this work permit, you must have a position as one of the above three categories. Remember the executive and managerial positions may overlap each other, however the specialized knowledge is different and if you qualify under this one then your case becomes much stronger. Basically you have to prove to immigration that you have expert knowledge and experience in the area that you are applying a work permit for. This portion can be demonstrated to the Canadian immigration by providing specific documents such as:

  • Resume
  • Degrees
  • Certification
  • Experience level
  • Employment contract/letter/references

You have to prove that your presence in Canada will benefit the company greatly. Remember, not all companies or business will qualify for this type of work permit and in order to determine this you may need to consult a professional who has ample experience in the realms of Canadian immigration such as Akrami & Associates.

Once you have determined your eligibility

If you are eligible to apply under the intra company transferee you can apply for a work permit only after getting approved. This means that your employer has to pay an employment offer compliance fee of about $230 and also submit an employment form online through the employer portal which is created by IRCC specifically for those who part take in the international mobility program. The employer must be able to provide the following things:

  • Their business number
  • Employee’s contact information
  • Offer of employment
  • Supplementary documentation if applicable

Remember, not all employers are required to pay before their potential employees apply for a work permit.

Once the employer has done his/her part, you can go ahead and apply for a work permit given the unique client number provided to your employer. Your application will be assessed by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada just like any other work permit. If you are found eligible you will be notified and issued your work permit when you arrive in Canada at the border by CBSA. Keep in this that being LMIA exempt does not guarantee a work permit and your application might be refused based on a variety of things. It is always sensible to consult a professional before applying for such a work permit so that you can be assessed like you would be by an immigration officer.

Want to work in Canada as Intra Company Transferee? Then Contact Akrami & Associates

Akrami & Associates has assisted many clients with different immigration matters from temporary to permanent applications. If you believe you might be eligible for an Intra company Transferee work permit to work in Canada than contact Akrami & Associates for more details at 416-477-2545. Our immigration experts have submitted many successful immigration applications and we can help you achieve your immigration goals as well. Contact us today!

With Akrami & Associates there is always a way!!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way