Off-campus Work Permit

Posted in Off Campus Work Permit

Canadian Off-campus Work Permit

Effective immediately, international students studying at eligible private post-secondary institutions in Canada can now apply for off-campus work permits. Previously, only international students at public universities and colleges in the province were able to apply.

"The Government of Canada is committed to attracting newcomers to Canada, and helping them succeed once they arrive," said Minister Finley. "This pilot will provide more international students with opportunities to work off-campus and to gain Canadian work experience. It complements our recent improvements to the post-graduate work program and our efforts to make Canada a more attractive choice for international students."

On April 21, the Government of Canada announced that under the Post-Graduate Work Permit program international students will be able to obtain, for the first time, an open three-year work permit with no restrictions on the type of employment and no requirement for a job offer. Students in the OCWP Program can ease into the post-graduate program as the Off-Campus Work Permit is valid for up to 90 days after graduation, thus allowing them to search for post-graduation jobs.

Giving students access to off-campus work permits also gives Canadian institutions a competitive advantage for attracting the best and brightest international students.

Foreign students contribute approximately $4 billion a year to Canada's economy. There are about 100,000 foreign students in Canada who could be eligible for work permits under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program. The program is not intended to take jobs away from Canadian students. Each applicant will be required to compete for employment on an equal basis with Canadians.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has signed agreements with most provinces to implement the program, and agreements with New Brunswick and the Yukon are currently being finalized. The agreements allow eligible foreign students at public post-secondary institutions to work off-campus for up to 20 hours a week during the school year and full-time during study breaks.

Eligible foreign students can apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit immediately, and may be able to work off-campus as early as this summer. The work permit is valid for the duration of their study permit.

"CIC is working in cooperation with the provinces and territories to make Canada a destination of choice by making it easier for foreign students to work in Canada during and after their studies," said Minister Solberg. "Off-campus work agreements will make it easier for students to gain work experience in the Canadian labour market and earn extra income while studying," he said.

We can Help You!

 We have dealt with hundreds of immigration cases. We have helped our clients in their difficult situations and have guided them to draft a more effective application. We can help you draft your application and arrange the required documents. A well-planned and complete application will increase your likelihood of acceptance and will save your from hassle. 

Do it Yourself Immigration Kit

 If you are worried about the legal fees – Don't be!Our goal is to help everyone that is interested in immigrating to Canada.Contact us and we can provide numerous options for you.You can also purchase our very affordable Immigration Kit which details everything for you.If you are still not sure, feel free to get back to us.We will review your case before you submit it to give you the best possible outcome.

Tags: Off-Campus Work Permit Work Permit Canadian Temporary Residence Canadian Immigration

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here