PR Card Frequently Asked Questions

Posted in PR Card Renewal

How can I get a PR card?

To get a Permanent resident Card (PR card), you must be eligible to have one. In general, this means you are a permanent resident living in Canada.

New permanent residents will receive their PR cards by mail.

If you are a permanent resident living in Canada, you can apply for a PR card. If you have a card that is going to expire soon or your card was lost, stolen or destroyed, you can apply to renew or replace your card.

How do I renew my PR card?

Most PR cards are valid for five years. You should renew your card within six months of when it will expire.

To renew your permanent resident card, you must:

  • Fill out some forms,
  • Send a specific type of photo to go on your card,
  • Send supporting documents, and
  • Pay a $50 fee.

My PR card has been lost, stolen or destroyed. How do I replace it?

If your PR card is lost, stolen or destroyed while you are in Canada, contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada to report what happened. To replace your PR Card, you need to apply for a replacement PR Card. The processing fee to replace your Permanent resident Card is $50.

If your PR Card is lost or stolen while you are outside of Canada, please report the loss or theft to the nearest Canadian visa office.

What should I do if my new PR Card has a mistake or something is missing?

You can apply for a reissued PR Card if the mistake was made by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Please note that if your given name has more than 15 letters or your surname has more than 20 letters, the name appearing on the PR Card will be truncated or shortened. This is not a mistake and the card will not be reissued to change the name should this be the situation.

I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not mail permanent resident cards (PR cards) to addresses outside Canada.

If you plan to return to Canada in a commercial vehicle such as a plane, train, boat or bus; you must apply for a travel document at a visa office outside Canada before you return to Canada.

If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, you do not need a permanent resident card. You can use your Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence instead.

You would have been given these documents:

  • If you applied from overseas: at the same time as your visa
  • If you applied from within Canada: when you landed at your local visa office

An immigration officer will ask you questions to make sure you meet all of the residency requirements before they allow you to come back to Canada.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm


For further information with respect your Canadian immigration we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives.

Tags: PR Card Renewal Canadian Immigration PR Card Frequently Asked Questions

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our immigration specialists will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our immigration specialist will contact you. Click here

  • Reviews

    Fantastic news, I entered Canada without a hitch. Once the guard at the border saw the package you had prepared for me, he took about ten minutes and handed me my permit. What I relief! I don’t know why I ever tried this without you guys! Thank you!

    Paul R. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    I got my visitors visa thanks to Shabnam. I just want to thank her and all the team for her hard work. They all did a very good job.

    Lucy A. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Shabnam, I wanted to personally thank you for all your hard work and dedication to me and my wife. Our new lives together are all thanks to you. Considering the unique circumstances that initially prevented her, I had lost hope. I will make sure that if anyone I know needs immigration help, I will be sending them your way. Again, I can’t thank you enough.

    Frank T. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Akrami & Associates was extremely professional and the most efficient legal team I have ever had the pleasure of dealing. They responded to my emails quickly, never missed a phone call and explained the process to me in such a way that anyone could understand, even me. Thanks to them, I was able to hire the workers my business needed mush sooner than I had ever expected. You can’t go wrong with them.

    Fahim S. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Reception was very nice and was sure to answer the questions he could but made sure I was taken care of by a rep at the firm. Shabnam was extremely helpful and I will be calling again when I am ready to proceed.

    Salvatore M. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    We have used Akrami & Associates for all of our immigration needs. They have never let us down and we couldn’t be happier. They took care of us from start to finish with little effort on our part. An excellent group of legal professionals.

    Michael W. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star