Q&As for Study Permits in Canada

Questions and Answers for Study Permits in Canada

This article will be addressing popular questions and answers for study permits in Canada. There are many foreign nationals that would like to come to Canada to study in a variety of different fields. Therefore, in order for you to further understand what a study permit entails, this article will help. Specifically, a study permit has been created for foreign nationals who desire to reside in Canada temporarily to pursue an education. It was intended to provide foreign nationals with an opportunity to further their education and careers through a Canadian educational institution. If you believe you would be eligible to apply for a study permit in Canada, I suggest you read our article on “How to Obtain a Study Permit in Canada” before reading this question and answer article. This article is intended to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to a study permits in Canada.

Q: If I arrived in Canada as a Temporary Resident, how can I switch my status to a Student? Is this possible?

A: Technically, it is possible. However, in order to legally study in Canada, you must have legal status as a student. There are several different circumstances that do not require a study permit in order to study in Canada as a visitor. Yet, if you do not fall under any of those circumstances, you would have to apply for a study permit. When applying for the study permit, you may either apply online or apply in person or via mail to the Visa Application Centre in Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

Q: I’m already an International student in Canada but I was just wondering if it’s possible to work while I study?

A: Yes, it is possible to work while you study in Canada. Depending on your study permit and the conditions laid out on the permit, you may be eligible to work on-campus or off-campus without the need or requirement of a work permit. This is very specifically only if you meet the specific criteria. It is important to note that if your academic, professional or vocational training program were to include any essential co-op or internship, unfortunately, you would then need to apply for a work permit in order to work in Canada. Keep in mind, once you complete your studies, you may apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit to continue working in Canada.

Q: As an International student, am I able to travel back to my home country or travel outside of Canada during my study period?

A: This is a very good question as many students would definitely like the opportunity to travel back to their home or even to travel abroad. Therefore, yes, you can travel back to your home country or travel outside of Canada during your study period. However, it is important to recognize that your study permit is not a travel document. Therefore, in addition to your study permit, you may either need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a Temporary Resident Visa. It is also important to note that having either an ETA or a TRV does not guarantee your re-entry into Canada. You must diligently demonstrate that you meet all the requirements for a Temporary Resident Visa or an ETA prior to them allowing you back into Canada. As a result, it is entirely your choice whether or not you would like to risk travelling outside of Canada during your study period.

Q: I have recently applied to extend my study permit in Canada as I’ve decided to study longer. Is it possible to travel outside of Canada and return to Canada while this is in process?

A: This question is along the same lines as the previous question. Technically, yes you can exit Canada and travel and return so long as your TRV or ETA is authorized and valid. Yet, if your TRV or ETA has expired, then you would have to reapply for another one before you exit Canada. It is essential that you do this or you may run the risk of not being able to return to Canada and continue your studies. Therefore, once you’ve finished travelling outside of Canada and return to Canada, if your study permit has been approved and is valid, you may return as a student. Similarly, if you’ve extended your study permit while you were travelling, you may return as a student. However, if Immigration is still processing the study permit extension, then you would have to return as a visitor to Canada. Furthermore, you cannot continue studying until you receive a final decision on your study permit extension. In the worst case scenario, you also have the option of applying for a new study permit once you enter Canada and can withdraw the previous application once you return to Canada successfully.

Contact Akrami & Associates

If you have any more questions or feel unsure about how to apply for a study permit in Canada, it is essential that you discuss your questions and concerns to an Immigration professional. By doing so, this will ease your worries and help you with the entire application process and what to expect going forward. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, especially study permits, and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply for a study permit in Canada. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients travel to Canada, temporary reside in Canada while they pursue their studies. If you believe that you may be eligible to apply for a study permit in Canada, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way