Genuineness of a Relationship

Posted in Spousal Sponsorship Canada

Spousal Sponsorship Genuineness

In assessing the eligibility for permanent residence of a spouse or common-law partner, officers must ensure that relationships between the sponsor and spouse or common-law partner and their relationships with dependent children are genuine. In ensuring that marriages or common-law partnerships are genuine, officers must consider the factors or elements that constitute a conjugal relationship. In addition, they must also consider factors that constitute a parent/child relationship and the issue of dependency between dependent children and the applicant and/or sponsor.

Conjugal Relationship

In assessing applications in Canada by spouses and common-law partners, officers must be satisfied that a conjugal relationship exists. The word "conjugal" indicates:

  • A significant degree of attachment, both physical and emotional,
  • An exclusive relationship,
  • A mutual and continuing commitment to a shared life together,
  • Emotional and financial interdependency.


Applicants must provide evidence of the marriage. A marriage that took place outside Canada must be legal in the country where it took place and be in accordance with Canadian federal law.

It may be necessary to consult the visa office responsible for the country to understand the requirements for legal marriage in their region of responsibility. The visa office may also have information regarding the marital status of the person at the time of the application for a temporary resident visa.

Divorce or Annulment of a Previous Marriage

Officers may need to confirm the legality of a foreign divorce or annulment with the appropriate visa office. Divorce is illegal in some countries.

Common-Law Partners

The sponsor and common-law partner must be living together in a conjugal relationship and must have cohabited for at least one year

Sponsor or Common-Law Partners Still Married to Someone Else

Persons who are married to third parties may be considered common-law partners provided their marriage has broken down and they have cohabited in a conjugal relationship with the common-law partner for at least one year.  Cohabitation with a common-law partner must have started after a physical separation from the spouse. Evidence of separation from the spouse may include:

  • A separation agreement,
  • A signed formal declaration that the marriage has ended and that the person has entered into a common-law relationship,
  • A court order regarding custody of children,
  • Documents removing the legally married spouse(s) from insurance policies or wills as beneficiaries.

In this situation, the legal spouse of the principal applicant cannot subsequently be sponsored as a member of the family class.

Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm


For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives. 

Tags: Spousal Sponsorship Family Class Sponsorship Canadian Permanent Residence Canadian Immigration Genuineness of a Relationship

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our immigration specialists will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our immigration specialist will contact you. Click here

  • Reviews

    Fantastic news, I entered Canada without a hitch. Once the guard at the border saw the package you had prepared for me, he took about ten minutes and handed me my permit. What I relief! I don’t know why I ever tried this without you guys! Thank you!

    Paul R. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    We have used Akrami & Associates for all of our immigration needs. They have never let us down and we couldn’t be happier. They took care of us from start to finish with little effort on our part. An excellent group of legal professionals.

    Michael W. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Reception was very nice and was sure to answer the questions he could but made sure I was taken care of by a rep at the firm. Shabnam was extremely helpful and I will be calling again when I am ready to proceed.

    Salvatore M. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Akrami & Associates was extremely professional and the most efficient legal team I have ever had the pleasure of dealing. They responded to my emails quickly, never missed a phone call and explained the process to me in such a way that anyone could understand, even me. Thanks to them, I was able to hire the workers my business needed mush sooner than I had ever expected. You can’t go wrong with them.

    Fahim S. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    I got my visitors visa thanks to Shabnam. I just want to thank her and all the team for her hard work. They all did a very good job.

    Lucy A. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Shabnam, I wanted to personally thank you for all your hard work and dedication to me and my wife. Our new lives together are all thanks to you. Considering the unique circumstances that initially prevented her, I had lost hope. I will make sure that if anyone I know needs immigration help, I will be sending them your way. Again, I can’t thank you enough.

    Frank T. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star