Studying in Canada as an International Student

Posted in Study Permit Canada

Do You Want to Study in Canada?

Well, if your answer is yes, then, you need a study permit. It's a requirement by the Canadian government. However, in some extreme cases, you may use a temporary resident visa. This means that, as an international student, there are prerequisite conditions that you must meet. A Study Permit is normally issued if the applicant has received a letter of acceptance from a Canadian university or college to undertake a program of choice. The permit is valid for the duration of intended program or course of study.

How Does One Apply For a Study Permit?

To start with, you must verify that you've been granted permission to study. It means that, you must have received letter of admission to an educational institution in Canada to be eligible. Then, find out how long it takes to process the application so that you know when to start. It is good to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointments. You can apply either through the online channel or through paper. Online application requires that you create electronic copies of your documents. You can use scanner or even a camera in that case. Ensure you have a valid credit card for making payments. To apply by paper, all your documents and forms need to be couriered to the proper visa office.

Who is Eligible to Apply for a Canadian Student Permit?

Anybody who wishes to study in Canada can be eligible. You must however take into account the following considerations before you apply for a study permit:

  • Proof that you do not have any criminal record. This means you should not be a security threat
  • Proof that you have sufficient money for tuition and other expenses
  • Proof that you are in good health, meaning you must pass a medical exam
  • An educational institution in Canada must accept you. You must therefore have an admission letter
  • Proof that you can leave Canada once you have completed your studies
  • However, there are circumstances under which you can study as an international student without a study permit. They include:
    • If you are a minor child already in Canada whose parents have legal status in Canada
    • If you are a member of family or staff of a foreign representative to Canada
    • If you are going to undertake a short-term course or program which will take a duration of six months or less

As a student, you can decide to work while studying. With a valid study permit, you can work under the following conditions:

  • In internship and co-op program where work experience is part of your academic program
  • Off campus with student work permit
  • On campus without work permit

After Completing Studies, is it Possible to Extend My Stay?

This is a big question to every aspiring international student. The answer is yes! Upon graduation, you are encouraged to obtain work experience to contribute in the Country's economy. One may also opt to apply for post-graduation work permit program. This is a three-year work permit. Study permit can also be extended if required. However, the application must be done at least 30 days before it expires.

What if the Study Permit is Lost?

You may lose your status as a student too. However, you can apply to restore your status within 90 days. This can only be done though if you continue meeting the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in the country. You are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

Tags: Study Permit Canadian Temporary Residence Canadian Immigration Studying in Canada as an International Student

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here