Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit Tips

Posted in Temporary Resident Permit

Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit

Attempting to travel with inadmissibility can be a very nerve wracking experience. Many have our clients have been turned away at the border because of a lack of awareness, proper documentation or knowledge of what to expect. Worse, many of our clients have been completely caught off guard and had no idea they were considered inadmissible. Do not let this happen to you.

Akrami & Associates will guide you every step of the way with this. Contact us for more details.

How to file your own Temporary Resident Permit Application

If you intend on submitting your Temporary Resident Permit application without the support of a representative, there are a couple of factors you should keep in mind.

Port of Entry

You must typically apply for a Temporary Resident Permit at a Consulate however some applicants are able to also apply at a port of entry, for example, those travelling from the United States. The port of entry is also typically where many of our clients become painfully aware of on inadmissibility. Preparing the right documentation and having it ready to present to the officer at the port of entry can be the difference between entering Canada and the long journey back home.

Equation of Law

In your application you will need to first determine under what laws you have been charged or convicted of in your home country. You will then need to use knowledge of law and the Canadian Criminal Code to determine how the laws of your conviction in your home country compare to similar laws in Canada. This means you will need to find a comparable law in Canada as the one you were charged with in your home country.


In your application you should also consider demonstrating remorse for your actions and how you have since improved your life for the better. An officer is unlikely to allow someone who may be considered likely to reoffend into Canada. For example, if you were convicted of assault four times over the span of four years, without adequately demonstrating that you have changed for the better, an officer may determine that the chances you will reoffend are high and therefore not allow you into Canada.

An officer assesses need versus risk when determining whether or not to allow you entry. Depending on the the nature of your intended purpose in Canada and the risk you pose to the general public of Canada, the may not be allowed access to Canada.

Disagree with an Officer?

If you feel that you are not inadmissible and the officer's claims are unfounded, you can refuse to comply with their decision and find yourself the subject of a formal court hearing at with the Immigration Division of Canada. This division formally assesses and makes decisions on matters of inadmissibility, among other things. As a foreign national, you are not required to go through with this but will have to if you want to dispute the officer.

The alternative is to acquire your Temporary Resident Permit or criminal rehabilitation, depending on the situation.

Also check our site dedicated for Denied Entry to Canada and Temporary Resident Permit

Tags: Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) Denied entry to Canada Canadian Temporary Residence Canadian Immigration Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit Tips

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here