Temporary Resident Permit Requirements

Posted in Temporary Resident Permit

If you face any sort of inadmissibility, entering Canada may be difficult if not all together not possible depending on the nature of the inadmissibility. There are many reasons why some one might be considered inadmissible:

  • you are a security risk,
  • you have committed human or international rights violations,
  • you have been convicted of a crime like DWI or DUI, or you have committed an act outside Canada that would be a crime,
  • you have ties to organized crime,
  • you have a serious health problem,
  • you have a serious financial problem,
  • you lied in your application or in an interview,
  • you do not meet the conditions in Canada's immigration law, or
  • one of your family members is not allowed into Canada.

Refused Entry into Canada

If you are determined to be inadmissible, you will need to overcome this inadmissibility by applying for a document called a Temporary Resident Permit. Many people confuse this with the similarly named temporary resident visa, however they are very different documents.

A Temporary Resident Permit is an authorization to enter Canada despite having inadmissibility. For example, if you have been convicted of driving under the influence in the United States, a border official in Canada may determine that you are criminally inadmissible to Canada.

If this is the case, you will need to apply to a Consulate to obtain a Temporary Resident Permit to overcome this inadmissibility. Without it, you will not be able to enter Canada until such time as you either apply to for individual Criminal Rehabilitated or be deemed criminally rehabilitated.

To be eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit, your need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or a border officer. Even if the reason you are inadmissible seems minor to you, you must demonstrate that your visit is justified.

There is no guarantee that you will be issued a Temporary Resident Permit. If you would like to receive a permit, you will have to pay a processing fee, which is not refundable.

A permit is usually issued for the length of your visit to Canada, for example, one week to attend a conference. You must leave Canada by the expiry date of the permit, or get a new permit before your current one expires.

Note, this permit may be cancelled by an officer at any time. The permit is no longer valid once you leave Canada, unless you have specifically been authorized to leave and re-enter.

Also check our site dedicated for Denied Entry to Canada and Temporary Resident Permit

Tags: Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) Denied entry to Canada Canadian Temporary Residence Canadian Immigration Temporary Resident Permit Requirements

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here