Whom Can You Sponsor?

You can sponsor your spouse, Common Law Partner or children who are dependent on you.

Is a Marriage Certificate Needed?

If you are sponsoring your spouse then you have to submit valid marriage certificate. But it has two conditions:

  • If you are married in Canada, then you have to present valid certificate issued by states and provinces of Canada
  • Or, if you are married outside Canada, then you have to submit certificate which has to be valid both in your home country and Canada.

Who are Considered as Dependent Children?

  • Who are disabled
  • Who are under 22 and have no spouse or conjugal partner
  • Whose age is over 22 but still dependent on their parents for financial support and also remain full time student continuously
  • Who are married before 22 but still dependent on their parents and have been full time student before the age of 22.

Are You Worried about your same sex partner?

You do not have to worry much about it. We will handle this matter delicately. All you have to do is to present a valid marriage certificate to the immigration office. Some same-sex partners live in a conjugal common law relationship. This is fine too.

What Qualifies as Common Law Partner?

If you have a Common Law Partner and you want to sponsor him/her, then you have to stay together for at least 1 year without any communication gap.

Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm


For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives. 

Latest Immigrations News

  • December 2, 2013

    Responsibilities for Sponsor and Applicant

    For all sponsorship applications, sponsors must: Ensure that they meet sponsorship criteria and eligibility requirements and are sponsoring a relative that is a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class, Complete the undertaking and the sponsorship agreement, Respond to the self-declaration schedules related to sponsorship [...]

  • December 2, 2013

    Genuineness of a Relationship

    Spousal Sponsorship Genuineness In assessing the eligibility for permanent residence of a spouse or common-law partner, officers must ensure that relationships between the sponsor and spouse or common-law partner and their relationships with dependent children are genuine. In ensuring that marriages or common-law partnerships are genuine, officers must [...]

  • December 2, 2013

    Family Class Sponsorship Co-Signing a Sponsorship

    Co-signers Co-Signing a Sponsorship The spouse or common-law partner of the sponsor may co-sign an undertaking to help meet income requirements by pooling resources; however, common-law relationships must have met common-law requirements prior to co-signing . Other family members may not co-sign. Co-signers should not co- sign when [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way