The Youth Mobility Program has resulted in more than 22,000 young Canadians choosing to travel and work abroad in approximately 40 countries each year. Comparatively, it has also facilitated 36,000 foreign youth working and travelling to Canada.
The Youth Mobility Program is essentially an international exchange program that exists with countries that have made agreements with Canada. This program has different caps depending on the country. For example, the Youth Mobility agreement that Canada shares with Poland offers 500 spots for Canadians to travel to Poland and 500 spots for Poles to come to Canada.
Each country is different with unique qualifications and programs, some offer more than others. The list of countries that currently hold an agreement with Canada in this respect are:
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- Korea, Republic of
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
If you do not see your country on this list, do not worry. There are many other options available within the standard Canadian Immigration system that may work for you. Contact us and we are confident that we will be able to find the right solution for you.
In terms of qualifications, again, every country is different but a few fundamentals remain the same throughout the program. Depending on the country involved, you may need to:
- Pay for your own travel, food and accommodation;
- Find your own job in the country that you visit;
- Be a Canadian citizen;
- Hold a valid passport;
- Get a work visa from the country that you want to visit;
- Prove that you have money to support yourself and/or a return travel ticket, plus medical and/or liability insurance;
- Prove that you have no criminal record;
- Be a student or recent graduate;
- Report your location to authorities;
- Pay a fee to obtain a work visa.
Keep in mind that the age of eligibility, length of time of the visa, and ability to renew the visa will vary from country to country.
If your goals are a rewarding experience in Canada and you feel that the Youth Mobility Program is for you, contact us for further details.