FAQ: Canadian Experience Class

Posted in Canadian Experience Class

What documents do I need for a Canadian Experience Class Application?

In this application you'll need to demonstrate a number of different factors such as your work experience in Canada, your educational background, the nature of your work in Canada as well as providing documentation of proof of your history in Canada. Documents you would need to submit would be such items as eight employment contract, letters of reference, proof of completion of education, as well as all Canadians status documents. You'll need to satisfy an officer that you obtained your experience in Canada lawfully, as well as are qualified for your intended occupation in Canada.

What is the processing time of the Canadian Experience Class?

Processing times are averages and are compiled based on to statistics gathered by citizenship and immigration Canada. Currently the average processing time for Canadian experience class application is approximately 13 months. This is subject to change and is completely at the discretion of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If I were to study in Canada illegally, am I able to apply under the Canadian Experience Class category?

Unfortunately, no, this is not an option. And experience that you indicate the application that is intended for Canadian Experience Class application must be legal and valid. You cannot have worker studied without the proper authorization in Canada. If you've ever done so, your application will most likely be refused.

Can I apply under the Canadian Experience Class if I have returned to my country?

Yes, you can still apply under the Canadian Experience Class so long as you meet the requirements under the class, including having gained at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount of part-time) work experience in a NOC 0, A, or B occupation in Canada. You must have obtained this within the last three years prior to submitting an application.

I graduated a while ago, then earned one-year of work experience and now I am back in school. Can I apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class?

Yes, as long as you gained skilled work experience of at least one year in an occupation listed under the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC) as Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations), Skill Level A (professional occupations) or Skill level B (technical and trade occupations).

Your work experience must have been gained in Canada within the three years before you submit your Canadian Experience Class application. Work experience gained while studying full time on a student permit (for example, experience gained while on co-op) does not count.

I obtained my undergraduate degree in another country, but I obtained my Master's degree in Canada. Do I qualify for the Canadian Experience Class?

If you graduate from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution, you can use that credential to apply for a post-graduation work permit which will help you obtain the work experience required for the Canadian Experience Class.

You must have one year of skilled work experience in an occupation that is listed under the 2011 National Occupation Classification's Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations), Skill Level A (professional occupations) or Skill level B (technical and trade occupations) and also meet the language requirement (Canadian Language Benchmark 5 or 7, depending on your occupation).

I am from an English-speaking country. Do I still need to provide proof of language ability to apply under the Canadian Experience Class?

Yes. All applicants must provide proof of language proficiency in one of Canada's two official languages (English or French) through official test results from an organization designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The results of your language test must be provided to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for your application to be finalized.

I have a PhD and am in a post-doctoral program. Do I qualify to apply to the Canadian Experience Class?

Work experience gained while you were on a Study Permit will not count towards meeting the Canadian Experience Class requirements. However, if you have already acquired one year of skilled Canadian work experience while you were not on a study permit, and you meet the language requirements for that occupation, you can still apply.

In this case you may also be eligible to apply for permanent residency under the PhD stream of the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You will need to meet the Federal Skilled Worker Program requirements and must be enrolled in, or have graduated from, a PhD program at a recognized private or public post-secondary educational institution in Canada.

Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm


For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives. 

Tags: Canadian Experience Class Economic Class Canadian Permanent Residence Canadian Immigration FAQ: Canadian Experience Class

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our immigration specialists will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our immigration specialist will contact you. Click here

  • Reviews

    Akrami & Associates was extremely professional and the most efficient legal team I have ever had the pleasure of dealing. They responded to my emails quickly, never missed a phone call and explained the process to me in such a way that anyone could understand, even me. Thanks to them, I was able to hire the workers my business needed mush sooner than I had ever expected. You can’t go wrong with them.

    Fahim S. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Fantastic news, I entered Canada without a hitch. Once the guard at the border saw the package you had prepared for me, he took about ten minutes and handed me my permit. What I relief! I don’t know why I ever tried this without you guys! Thank you!

    Paul R. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    I got my visitors visa thanks to Shabnam. I just want to thank her and all the team for her hard work. They all did a very good job.

    Lucy A. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Shabnam, I wanted to personally thank you for all your hard work and dedication to me and my wife. Our new lives together are all thanks to you. Considering the unique circumstances that initially prevented her, I had lost hope. I will make sure that if anyone I know needs immigration help, I will be sending them your way. Again, I can’t thank you enough.

    Frank T. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    We have used Akrami & Associates for all of our immigration needs. They have never let us down and we couldn’t be happier. They took care of us from start to finish with little effort on our part. An excellent group of legal professionals.

    Michael W. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Reception was very nice and was sure to answer the questions he could but made sure I was taken care of by a rep at the firm. Shabnam was extremely helpful and I will be calling again when I am ready to proceed.

    Salvatore M. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star