Tips with a Canadian Experience Class Application

Posted in Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class application is an extremely complicated application type with several things you, as the applicant, will need to consider. Aside from the basic requirements, there are six selection factors to be considered. Many of our clients come to us as a result of struggling with the right documentation to submit.

Akrami & Associates will guide you every step of the way with this.

If you intend on submitting your application without the support of a representative, there are a couple of factors you should keep in mind.

CEC Language Requirement

Each applicant must demonstrate that they meet the language requirements according to their occupational skill level by providing evidence of their proficiency in English or French in all four of the following abilities: speaking, reading, listening and writing.

For the purpose of language proficiency, your test results will be matched to the Canadian Language Benchmarks/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (CLB/NCLC). CIC uses the CLB/NCLC to determine your language proficiency.

If you have a qualified Canadian work experience at Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the NOC, you must have test results that meet or exceed the language proficiency threshold for your occupation skill level in each of the four language abilities.

CEC Qualifying Work

Important: the following six occupations are not eligible under the CEC:

  • - Administrative officers (NOC 1221)
  • - Administrative assistants (NOC 1241)
  • - Accounting technicians and bookkeepers (NOC 1311)
  • - Retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211)
  • - Food service supervisors (NOC 6311)
  • - Cooks (NOC 6322)

This work experience must have been acquired in Canada within the 36 months preceding the date your properly completed application is received by the CIO. You do not have to be employed at the time of your application.

Note, any periods of self-employment, unauthorized work, work in an ineligible occupation, and periods of employment during which you were engaged in full-time study (e.g. work experience gained on a co-op, off-campus or on-campus work permit) will not be included when calculating the period of qualifying work experience. You must have had temporary resident status during the period of work experience acquired in Canada.

If you are a student and graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, you can gain the work experience required for CEC through the Post-Graduate Work Permit. If this applies to you, contact us for more information about what you should do next.

CEC Documentation

When considering the documentation to include in your application, aside from such documentation that would demonstrate your skills in an eligible profession, your biggest hurdle will be determining whether or not your occupation meets the requirements of the NOC, National Occupational Classification. Here's a tip, do not concern yourself too much with job titles – instead refer to the duties. You will need your duties in the NOC to match up with the duties you perform to be classified as such. Be sure to make certain you are also using the most recent NOC matrix.

Contact Akrami & Associates Immigration Law firm


For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives. 

Tags: Canadian Experience Class Economic Class Canadian Permanent Residence Canadian Immigration Tips with a Canadian Experience Class Application

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our immigration specialists will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our immigration specialist will contact you. Click here

  • Reviews

    Shabnam, I wanted to personally thank you for all your hard work and dedication to me and my wife. Our new lives together are all thanks to you. Considering the unique circumstances that initially prevented her, I had lost hope. I will make sure that if anyone I know needs immigration help, I will be sending them your way. Again, I can’t thank you enough.

    Frank T. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Fantastic news, I entered Canada without a hitch. Once the guard at the border saw the package you had prepared for me, he took about ten minutes and handed me my permit. What I relief! I don’t know why I ever tried this without you guys! Thank you!

    Paul R. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    We have used Akrami & Associates for all of our immigration needs. They have never let us down and we couldn’t be happier. They took care of us from start to finish with little effort on our part. An excellent group of legal professionals.

    Michael W. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    I got my visitors visa thanks to Shabnam. I just want to thank her and all the team for her hard work. They all did a very good job.

    Lucy A. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Akrami & Associates was extremely professional and the most efficient legal team I have ever had the pleasure of dealing. They responded to my emails quickly, never missed a phone call and explained the process to me in such a way that anyone could understand, even me. Thanks to them, I was able to hire the workers my business needed mush sooner than I had ever expected. You can’t go wrong with them.

    Fahim S. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Reception was very nice and was sure to answer the questions he could but made sure I was taken care of by a rep at the firm. Shabnam was extremely helpful and I will be calling again when I am ready to proceed.

    Salvatore M. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star