Inland vs Overseas Spousal Sponosrship
Deciding to submit your application from inside or outside Canada can be a complex situation based on the pros and cons of each application types. You will need to determine what works best for you and how each application type will affect your immediate future.
- The applicant must be in and remain in Canada when the application is submitted up until it is finalized. Travel is not recommended,
- Processing times for inland applications are considerably longer than overseas applications,
- Once the application has been “approved in principle”, the applicant normally becomes eligible for an open work permit, This usually happens after the application has been in process for a year,
- There is no right to appeal of a negative decision. The Applicant must exit Canada,
- If the applicant leaves Canada during the processing of his or her application and is not permitted to return, the application may be abandoned.
- The applicant can apply through the overseas process whether he or she is inside or outside of Canada when the application is submitted,
- Processing times vary depending on the visa office where the application is processed, but it is normally faster to apply using the overseas application process, as opposed to the in-Canada process,
- Eligibility for an Open Work Permit does not exist in this application type,
- The sponsor has the right to appeal a negative decision.
Applications will first be assessed in Canada and will determine your sponsor’s eligibility to actually sponsor you. Not everyone qualifies.
Once this is complete (first stage approval) your application will be moved overseas to the visa office responsible for processing applications in your area. They will then proceed with verifying your information.
If you need help determining the best option for you, Akrami & Associates would be happy to assess the pros and cons of your application as well as the merits of your unique case to help you determine how best to proceed.
Sponsoring your loved one can be an extensive and time consuming endeavour so you’ll want to be sure you get it right the first time. Akrami & Associates is here to help.