Akrami & Associates logo element dark

Who is Eligible to Apply for the Canadian Open Work Permit?

You may qualify for an Open Work Permit if:

The applicant is already working in Canada, and the applicant’s permanent resident application has been approved under any one of the following programs:

  • Spouse or Common Law Partner in Canada class.
  • Live in caregiver program
  • Federal skilled worker program
  • Canadian experience class.
  • Provincial nominee program
  • Federal skilled trades program
  • Humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

You may also be eligible if the permanent resident visa of the applicant’s family member got approved under the following conditions:

  • The applicant’s spouse is a skilled worker in any occupation under the NOC skill types A, B, 0 or if the applicant’s spouse is a foreign student.
  • The applicant is in Canada under the agreement of federal-territorial immigration, which includes an active pilot project.
  • The applicant is also eligible if he is a spouse or dependent child of a temporary resident of Canada with a pilot project.
  • The applicant, if enrolled as a full-time student in any eligible education institution, is also eligible for the open work permit.
  • If the applicant is a holder of a Temporary Resident Permit, which is valid for 6 months.
  • If the applicant is participating in the Canada youth program or in the international Experience Canada program.
  • If the applicant has filed a claim for refugee protection and is waiting for the decision on the filed claim or cannot pay the basic needs without working.
  • If the applicant’s refugee claim is rejected, but the Canadian government is not ready to remove the applicant.
  • If the applicant is a family member of a foreign representative
  • If the applicant is a family member of a foreign military member working in Canada.
  • If the applicant is a professional athlete who is allowed to enter Canada and needs to work to support himself.

Can the applicant send the Open Work Permit and permanent resident applications separately?

The answer to this question is yes. If you forgot to send the Open Work Permit application along with the permanent resident application, then you can send it separately by writing the following statement on the top of the application- “Open Work Permit — Live-in Caregiver.”

Open Work Permit for Live-in Caregivers

  • As a caregiver, you can always apply for an open work permit. To apply for the Open Work Permit in Canada, you must satisfy the following requirements:
    • The applicant must have submitted the permanent resident application under the caregiving class.
    • The applicant should hold work permit under the program for 2 years or more and
    • The applicant must have worked at least 3900 hours or two years as a caregiver within 4 years and not more than that.

What is a Bridging Open Work Permit, and who can get it?

The Open Work Permit is not a job-specific permit in some cases, which means that there is no need to obtain permission from Human Resources and skill development Canada or labour market opinion, and there is no need to mention the job offer.

Requirements to Obtain the Open Work Permit:

In order to get eligible for the Canadian open work permit, the applicant must satisfy all the criteria mentioned in the list below.

  • The applicant should be in Canada.
  • The applicant should have a work permit that is valid and set to expire within four months.
  • The applicant must receive a positive decision on the permanent Canadian resident application under the Economic Class or federal skilled worker class or Canadian experience class, or the deferral skilled trades program.
  • The applicant must make an application for an open work permit.

How Can We Help You with the Open Work Permit?

Our firm has experienced lawyers, consultants and paralegals who can provide you with complete information on the process and can briefly explain the rules and eligibility requirements for each open work permit. We will make sure that you have applied for the Open Work Permit correctly, following all the procedures in order.

Contact Us

You can call us or write us an email. We’ll arrange an appointment for you, where a legal expert will sit with you and assess your case.

Retain the Firm

Once you have retained the firm, we will start preparing your case.

Document Checklist

Our immigration expert will discuss your case in detail and will identify the most feasible plan. Based on the selected route, you will be given a checklist of documents that need to be submitted with your application.

Submit the Application

As soon as your application is ready, we’ll submit it to the immigration office. We’ll stay in close contact with the office and will keep you updated regarding the status of the application.


When the decision arrives, we’ll inform you. In case of a refusal, we’ll assist you in filing an appeal after reassessing the results and your case.

We can Help You!

We have dealt with hundreds of immigration cases. We have helped our clients in their difficult situations and have guided them to draft a more effective application. We can help you draft your application and arrange the required documents. A well-planned and complete application will increase your likelihood of acceptance and will save you from hassle.

If you are worried about the legal fees – Don’t be! Our goal is to help everyone that is interested in immigrating to Canada. Contact us, and we can provide numerous options for you. If you are still not sure, call us back. We will review your case before you submit your application to give you the best possible outcome.

Contact Us

For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives.

Consultation icon

Book a Consultation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Online form icon

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way